Excessive Vibration

Roadster90

This is an unusual problem.....

When starting my 91 and immediately putting the car in reverse and leaving a parking space in a shopping center (also turning the steering wheel one direction or the other - I think turning the wheel to the right the majority of the time), the whole front of the car sets up a Massive Vibration (both sound and feeling). I have to cut the engine off and re start several times and put in drive and reverse several times to end the vibration. The vibration seems like a real low end steering "under extreme load" noise/vibration.

I have checked the steering pump fluid and it is ok. Of course when I stop by a shop to get an opinion it does not mis behave :( ...... :)

Any diagnostic suggestions or ideas please?

Thanks,

Nic

Guest Recian

harmonic balancer does sound about right. You could always pop off the belt and see if it goes away, that'll eliminate the p/s system from the equation

Thanks for the replies / suggestions gentlemen. Some of the difficulties I have in diagnostics on this problem is that the symptom is intermittent in nature (when I need to have the vibration occur it simply won't of course). I and a technician friend have both inspected the harmonic balancer and it looks super fine (car also has 54,000 miles). Not positive but I/we don't think the vibration is brake related - seems to be coming from the engine - the front of the engine I feel.......

Thanks again for the replies.....

Nic