help

Guest barn car

Barn Car,

That is a very interesting question. The first place to stop is your state department of motor vehicles and see what they say for their process.

There are companies that will for a fee try to get you a title, but best bet is your local dmv.

Here is a link to a previous discussion on this topic.

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/title-info-all-50-states-here-299642.html

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
i didnt know how to title this but if i find an old car how may i go about asking for it and if its abandoned how can i get it

There really isn't such a thing as an abandoned car. Sitting in a field or now buried in a thicket and not being in service isn't the equivalent of being abandoned. It is on property that belongs to someone and therefore is their property whether registered, licensed, or left by a previous owner of the property.

So your first step is to locate the owner of the property and ask about the car. It's possible they might just give it to you to get rid of it, and they might even have a title for it. If no title or if it should have been sitting where it is when they acquired the property then you will have to track down the previous owner if possible, wind up with applying for a salvage title, or go to the expense of getting a bonded title.

Above all if you obtain permission to remove such a vehicle get some sort of signed sales receipt showing a selling price of at least $10 and the VIN number from the property owner.

I agree with Jim. Make sure you have something signed with the VIN numbers in this day and age I would include a picture of the truck also. Have the local police check the VIN number before you pay. It might look like a great deal but the title is a big deal! I do all my paperwork before I start working on it. Had a friend of mine wait almost a year to get plates for his old car because of questions about his VIN number. It would be even more depressing to find out it was stolen many years ago, some guy shows up with a title and drives your truck home. In the end a good title is always best, signed by the owner. Check out this story...

1969 Camaro SS stolen in Newark 36 years ago is recovered in Calif. | NJ.com