help barn restoration

Guest barn car

Guest barn car

i found a 1955 chevy bel air 2 door in rough shape no motor or seats my dad loves the car if i can get it from the land owner to have it hoq much would it be to put a new motor original or not and seats original or not

Barn Car,

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing that comes to mind is how much money do you have and how much do you want to/ can do yourself?

Also what kind of motor do you want to put in? To put motor and seats in the car could be anywhere between $500.00 (used engine from you pull it) to $25,000.00+++ depending on what you want, how much you want to spend and you can do yourself.

It usually not the "motor" that will get to you, but everything else. Things like does the car have a radiator, wiring that will fit the motor, need drive line changes, transmission that mates to the engine, electrical "stuff", mechanical "stuff", and the list goes on.

Just my thoughts & experience.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

barn car,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Where are you located? Hopefully there is an AACA Region or Chapter, or a Discussion Forum member near you. Someone who knows a little bit about antique car restoration can help you look over the car and give you some advice. I don't want to discourage you, but without any experience that may be a difficult project for you to sucessfully complete without a lot of help or a lot of money.

Guest barn car

i live in south georgia a country boy ,the cars in ok shape ,its pretty much a rolling chassis from looking at the outside, it was going to be a restore but the guy quit ,so all i want is for it to drive i can paint it myself i just want to bring the kid outta my dad again i have a super slim budget

Your cheapest option would be to find a running donor car for cheep and swap engine, trans, axle, wiring, seats, front brakes, etc. Put all the stock parts to the side to be restored properly when time and money permit. If it has been sitting all this time all the mechanicals should be gone through otherwise.

When I was 16 I bought a 55 210 chev that had been parted out. I installed a complete 73 nova drivetrain, electrical, seats, fuel system, Exaust, rad, heater. Everything. Turned an empty tub into a reliable driver in under a week for under a grand. If your budget is that slim and you want a safe car that is the quickest easiest cheapest safest way. If you do it right you can restore the car back to stock and restore it properly when you can. Just remember, modify the parts to fit the car, don't modify the car to fit the parts.