1928 Series A Hupmobile

29pickhupp

I bought a 1929 series A Hupmobile a couple years ago. This Hupp had been cut up to make it into a pickup truck many years ago, possibly in the 40s. I have had a dream of owning an old pickup for a long time and very much like the lines of my "29 pickhupp". My intentions were always to attempt bringing it back how it might have been in the 40s after it was made into a truck, not hotrodded but not as it came from the factory. I have been collecting Hupp parts which is a very slow process, about all I had found were 4 very banged up hubcaps purchased 1 and 2 at a time. I completed my "restoration" of the caps a year or so ago.

I have been searching for a Hupp body as my plans have changed and have decided to bring it back to being a car. This past week I found a 1928 Series A Hupp that is quite complete and only 20 miles from where I live. It has a lot of rust from the running boards down but the body is in good shape and it has most of the small things intact. There are a few things that are different from 28 to 29 on the body such as dash and 1929 has a nice detail on the sun visorand I am sure lots of little things I have not seen. I am thinking to put the 28 body on the 29 chassis. I would be very interested in hearing comments and potential problems I may encounter.

I have read though Dean's fantastic build thread as he was working on his 29, this was how I had found this forum. I have been a member of the hupmobile club for a couple years.

Here are some photos of my "new"28 Hupp with 29 in the background

John

post-61547-143138767144_thumb.jpg

post-61547-143138767147_thumb.jpg

post-61547-143138767149_thumb.jpg

John The body on the 28 will fit on the 29. There were minor changers between the 2 cars.In side, the 28 has a fixed front seat while the 29 has a detached one that can be adjusted to the driver. The 28 has 4 rim bolts and the 29 has 6 rim bolts. The hub caps are not the same size. Engine is the same. You already know the dashes are not the same. Inside door handles are not alike. There may be a few more minor changers. The steering wheels are the same. I personally like the 29 dash as it is more ornate. If you want to exchange them, change the whole dash.

Edited by Hupp36 (see edit history)

Thank you for the comments. I have noticed the front bumper is also a bit different shape and the 29 has a sort of an upside down " V" shaped bar attached to it that may not be original. I am sure there are going to be other differences. I had known the hub diameters were different as the 29 wood wheel hub caps are specific to 1929 year. The front seat in my 29 may be the original back seat as it matches the shape of the back wall.

John

I am sorry, I should have commented on the bumper, your 29 will have a vee and the medallion will be different from the 28. There may be slight changes that my 72 year mind may have forgotten. If you can, keep both vehicles and look through the Hupp parts locator and you should be able to find the parts you need. I have a 28 A Hupp pickup that was made out of a coupe and it is a roadster type and the wife loves it. Keep on Huppin, Chuck

Hi Chuck

I hope its warmer in Florida than here in Canada but its nice to have snow for Christmas.

I am planning to repair the wood steering wheel on my 28 Hupp as it is in many pieces. The plan is to remove the steering wheel and inner shaft assembly as a unit and reglue the steering wheel refinish it and reassemble. I have been looking over Dean's thread and it appears that if I take the throttle and distrbuter levers and light switch off the bottom the shaft and wheel could come out as a unit. Is this how this comes apart? I feel that I will have a better chance to glue the steering wheel laying flat on a bench than in place in the car and also there is no heat in my garage.

Thank you , John

John There are 3 inner shafts that run down the center of the steering column. Unscrew the light switch at the bottom, leave the wires attached. Next unbolt the 2 levers. 1 will be the spark and the other is the throttle. There should be a bolt going through each 1 that clamps them to the shafts. Slide them off the shafts toward the light switch. Next the pic shows the horn button with the light ,spark and throttle levers broken off. Hopefully yours are ok. As you can see in the pic the horn button started to be pulled out toward the ceiling. These shafts are quite long so you may have to lower the steering column to pull them out. After this is done,next comes the hard part. The plastic ring has 4 small nails molded into it. They hold the ring to the wheel. BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the ring. When removed you will see the 6 or so flat head screws that hold the wheel to the hub.

post-60296-143138778387_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hupp36 (see edit history)

Thank you so much for the details it makes more sense now how it is put together. I will let you know how I do with this.

John

PS the levers are not broken on either car. They both have the bakelite rings intact. The 29 has no horn button and the 28 horn button is hanging sort of loose.

Edited by 29pickhupp (see edit history)

I was able to remove the steering wheel yesterday, unfortunately even with your warnings I did crack the Bakelite trim piece. Three nails came loose easily but the last one was stuck much more tightly. It is a fairly clean break plan is to reuse.

I was very amazed as every screw and bolt came out very easily. I removed the levers on the top after getting inner shaft to move upward. I think I needed to take this apart anyway as horn botton was loose and wire not attached.

The steering wheel is missing one segment so I plan to make a replacement piece. The odd joint used will complicate matters greatly.

John

post-61547-143138779879_thumb.jpg

post-61547-143138779881_thumb.jpg