30 CJ to 34 dodge Trans.

Guest martylum

Hi Bill-I mated a 1933 Desoto synchro second gear trans. to my 30 Desoto engine. You may have to check the bolt pattern as mine did not exactly match up. Having synchronized second gear has made it a lot easier for my wife to drive it. The other problem you will probably have is the need to change your driveshaft length.

Marty Lum

1930 Desoto

Guest stephen48

The 34 Dodge gearbox is totallydifferent to the 30 Cj gearbox and cannot be bolted straight in.

The 34 gearbox does not change gear smoothly unless you double de- clutch or put it into freewheel so if an easier gear change is your objective I would not recommend the 34 gearbox.

Also the 34 gear stick mounts on top of a chassis frame cross member and not directly to the gearbox. It then goes through the cross member to indirect remote selectors within the gearbox .

The 34 Dodge gearbox is totallydifferent to the 30 Cj gearbox and cannot be bolted straight in.

The 34 gearbox does not change gear smoothly unless you double de- clutch or put it into freewheel so if an easier gear change is your objective I would not recommend the 34 gearbox.

Also the 34 gear stick mounts on top of a chassis frame cross member and not directly to the gearbox. It then goes through the cross member to indirect remote selectors within the gearbox .

I wondered about that. Sounds like the '34 Dodge transmission is the same or very similar to the '33 and '34 Plymouth transmission. Which I suspected but did not know.

Guest stephen48

Yes the 34 Plymouth PE gearbox is the same as 33 Plymouth PD and 34 Dodge.

The 30 Chrysler Cj gearbox is the same as 28 - 30 DeSoto K and 28 - 31 Plymouth so parts shouldn't be too hard to find.This is a very straight forward gearbox to work on.

Edited by stephen48
typo (see edit history)