Starting the Kimes Book

Guest BJM

With winter upon us, I am finally starting the Kimes Packard book. 1st thing I do is lift it over my head 20 times to exercise the muscles required to hold it evenly for careful reading.

I've already learned something new in the Forward. Studebaker-Packard formally ended the Packard name in 1962.

i picked up a book years ago "ok to drive away" which is like a kids reader, except all the pictures where taken in the packard plant around 1952

Keep in mind as you read the chapters in the Kimes book on the very early Packards that information that came to light well after publication from some long-lost archives of G. L. Weiss revised and/or corrected some of original info in the Kimes book. This new data was used by Terry Martin and published as "Packard - the Warren Years" in 2006; I believe the book is available from the Warren museum.

I've already learned something new in the Forward. Studebaker-Packard formally ended the Packard name in 1962.

I already found that out 20+ years ago. I found a book that was titled something like "The Postwar Packard, 1946-62". I thought I was going to see all kinds of cool concepts designed to return Packard to production, but it was only the name that carried on to 1962 with no car, or hopes of resurrection.

LINC400, perhaps you're referring to Nat Dawes' find book, "The Packard: 1942-1962". Some very useful appendeces in the reference section of this book.

Yes, that is it. Very good book. I just thought with a title of 1942-1962, it gave the impression that you would be seeing some concepts or something beyond 1958 going on through 1962.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Guest John_Lawrence

O_D, thanks for the comment about the Terry Martin book. I purchased a copy for the museum store and I am enjoying reading it. Interesting that AQ would not issue a revised edition with additional and corrected information. This often happens with books with reprints. Its good that Martin went ahead and wrote the book to keep history correct.

(o[]o)