1937 Buick Limited 91

Hi,<BR>I have purchased this Buick and am slowly trying to accumulate parts and info to do a first class restoration. Anyone out there willing to comment or correspond? Especially someone who has actually restored one of these giants!? A particular question: Is there a Buick steel wheel with the appropriate lug hole patterns that would fit this that is a seventeen inch wheel. I can see purists cringing already!! BUT...IF they would fit and IF they had the fender clearance....I would be gearing up this slightly low geared car for a little better suitability for modern highways. Know anyone with such wheels in the barn??? Also, how much do purists and the BCA frown on choosing one's own color? Or, at least, a different color which was available? I do not care for the gray color. Thank you anyone for your comments!!!<BR>Perry BCA 38398

Perry, in BCA formal judging, you would not receive a points deduction for changing to a different color as long as it is a correct color for the '37 Limited. (This is different from some clubs, where the paint color must match the car's body plate.)<P>I have no knowledge on the wheel question.<P>I see that you live in Idaho. What is your timetable for the restoration? If completed by early summer 2003, I hope you will consider joining the caravan from Seattle to Flint to celebrate Buick's centennial. Your car is a CCCA "true classic" that is a spectacular car and well worth your restoration effort. Congratulations on a beautiful find!<P>By the way, be sure to post these kinds of technical questions on the "General" forum rather than the "Buy/Sell" forum.<p>[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Centurion ]

I`ve driven an original `37 80C over 25,000 miles in the past three years. ( Last 3 History Channel Great Races). I can`t figure what you would accomplish by changing the wheel size. Certainly not comfort. Speed? Naw. If your drive train and suspension is in good shape you will be able to maintain any posted speed limit. Just take along a couple extra quarts of oil. Overheating may be a concern. If so, email me and I`ll send you the fix.<BR>Bob

Thank yous, Peter and Bob. Glad to hear I can choose a different Buick color, Peter. Bob, I know of people with newer cars who have upsized their tires with the consequence of getting speeding tickets due to the speedometer error they introduced. I went and measured the diameters of my 17 inch and a 16 inch tires. They are, respectively, 32 1/4 X 28 1/2. The circumference is a direct proportion so one finds that the percentage increase in speed per engine RPM is about 12%. So I could be going 70mph at about the same RPM I was previously going 60!!! Much easier on the car. Thanks again for your comments. Also, Peter, I will move to the forum regarding this issue, next reply (for those who may comment in the interim).

Guest AWBE

I think your're thinking backwards----the smaller wheels will give you better pickup but slower top speed---the torque of your engine has something to do with this also. Thats the way it used to work in the late 40's when we put 15" wheels on 40 Fords (which had 16" wheels). Of course I'm getting old and rattlebrained and may be wrong.Look at it like this ----for each rpm you will be going 1.147 greater distance with the big tires than with the small ones.

Joe,<BR>No,....I may not have said it clear, but your last statement is the point exactly. Since I am going further in one wheel round the engine does not have to turn as many rpms to cause me to go faster. Yes, I lose power in so doing, but my understanding is these old 320s have plenty of power, especially for modern roads. I have also been told that touring at sustained freeway speeds is not recommended for the ol long stroker. The Limited was slightly lower geared than the Roadmaster, due to its greater weight...and I have a really nice set of whitewalls so I thought I could scare two ducks with one stone. Do you know anywone with an older Buick pre-1937 that came with 7:50x17 tires? My books do not tell me that. Thanks Joe for your response(s)

Fred,<BR>A good suggestion...higher ratio rear end. Unfortunately, the 37 Buick 90 was a one of a kind rear end!!! I understand that 38 all the way up to the fifties can interchange..but a 37 Buick 90 interchanges only with a 37 Buick 90!!! Due to this, I do not even want to tear into it..unless necessary, I will only repeatedly clean and flush and put in new oil and hope I have no howls or noises!!! Even the basic parts might be hard to find in the event they were damaged in disassembly. I did, however by a new correct Series 90 ring and pinion when I sought it on ebay, thinking I would forever regret it should I let it slip by and subsequently need it!!! Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Have you heard of the 1937-1938 buick club? It has a magazine called the "Torque Tube" that has technical tips and a source for parts and accessories. I'm restoring a '38 series 90 myself. Goodluck and welcome.

• 9 months later...

I have just been reading an e/mail where you are talking about a club for 1937-38 Buick enthustust. Is it still in existance? I have a 37 Buick Limited 90 series that I am wanting to sell,and I would love to get in contact with these people!

Please help me if you can.

Hello Perry;

17" wheels where standard for 1933 Buick. These however had various bolt patterns depending on series (50,60,90) and probably none of them match your '37 limited. As I recal '37 limiteds have a 5 on 5" lug bolt pattern.

Your initial premise is correct and based on sound reasoning; the larger the circumference of your wheel, the further you travel with each revolution. You are additionally correct that the 320 will not have any trouble with a higher ratio. You may achieve what your after by using a taller tire. Remember it is the TIRE circumference where the "rubber meets the road". In my case (1933 Buick) I accomplished something like what you describe by running 750-17's in place of 700-17's. As you say originality is lost, but cruising speeds are achieved at slightly lower rpms. This has the additional benefit of allowing you to easily(relatively) switch back to the factory spec tire if you want your car judged. Hope some of that helps. Please feel free to e-mail me direct at david_hopper@dot.ca.gov for further engineering anaylisis of tires and wheels.

Dave

Transportation Engineer

CA dept. of Transportation

Happy BCA member