Identy of Lincoln OHV Engine

Ron K.

Does anybody recognize this engine and carburetor? It was inserted into my 1940 Cabriolet, I know very little about Lincoln engines (a friend thought it was a 292) and wonder what this one is. Where would the serial number be?. I need to rebuild the carb and have never seen one like this and hope that one of you folks know all about it.

post-80968-143138752342_thumb.jpg

These carbs will work just fine if rebuilt properly. They have special vacuum passages for the distributor so you need to use a similar Holley if you replace it. '53-'54 Lincoln and '54-' 56 Ford/ Merc may also work. I can supply you with a reconditioned '53 or '54 Lincoln carb. The '54 only differs in that it has a vacuum diaphragm to operate the rear, secondary barrels.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

Thank you Peecher you know some stuff, I will call Daytona tomorrow morning. Do you know where the engine number is, if they had one, so that I could put a date to the engine? I heard that this was a "crate" engine purchased fresh from the factory to be inserted into this car.

I don't believe Ford used serial numbers on the engines. Part numbers used on some of the accessories might give you a clue. '53 p/n for the distributor is FAF-12127A, Starter motor is FAC-11002G and the generator FAB-10002A, '54 and '55 generators were rated at 50 amp ( verse the 40 amp '53) with a p/n FBB-10002A.

The distributor p/n for '54 was FAF-12127B and for '55 it was FDL-12127B

Guest Jim_Edwards

Addressing the engine type, with that carburetor it is a 317.5 c.i., 205 hp "Y" block. It is the big brother to the smaller "Y" blocks introduced into Fords and Mercurys in 1954.