seat motor & relay

Guest rls65rls

Guest rls65rls

hi guys, question, I have a 4-way power seat in my 65 riv, the motor, transmission and relay are off the seats and the seats are out of the car,again I bought this car in a basket and have to re-install everything. now, I want to put the seat motor, transmission and relay back in the seats. I cleaned and lubed everything and want to test the motor, trany etc. and believe me I'm no electrition. the body manual sounds like when your trouble shooting or testing everything that the motor trany etc are all installed onto or in the car. now, is there a way to test everything when its out of the seats or out of the car? or can these things be taken somewhere to be tested? like I said I'm no electrition. thanks for any help! rls65rls

I would recommend you remove the tracks from the seat itself.

Put the tracks all together and set them in the car. Connect to the power plug.

Add a ground wire.

Then start playing with the switches and see what happens. Use a volt meter to see which wires are getting power when each switch is pushed in each direction.

You should be able to bench test everything, but you keep saying you are no electrician and it would require you to wire something up. So use the wires in the car.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest olmsedd2

Hey Jim, Just a question. Is the relay what causes the motor to reverse polarity and run backwards or what does?. My seat just goes up and forward. but not back and down?

The switch causes the polarity to reverse current to the motor. The relay, if I'm thinking of what you're thinking of, is really a circuit breaker. It's mounted on the driver's side kick panel. It's used instead of a fuse. Try using a jumper wire to by-pass the switch and see if you can't get the seat to move both ways. If the motor runs one way, it should run the other way as well.

Ed

Guest olmsedd2

Hey Rivnut, Thanks for the quick response. This relay is on a 1965 Rivi under the driver seat attached by a screw. It has six blade connectors and it is attached to the motor and tranny of the seat. Is this the one you are refering to or is there another by the kick pannel?