1939 Buick Special Rear Shocks

sleeve-valve

My parts book lists them as 2103A and 2103B. Other places like Apple Hydraulics website lists them as 2103E and 2103F. An older post says the E and F are replacement Delco numbers. What is the difference between the A/B and E/F? Is one pair considered better to use than the other? Thanks.

Do you have them? Or are you looking for some?

Cheers

Grant

I have one marked 2103F on the left rear of the car that seems to work fine and doesnt leak, the one on the right rear leaks and is unmarked so I don't know what it is. I have a used 2103A and 2103B that are not on the car and I dont know how good they are, so I'm thinking I can either rebuild A and B or look for a E and rebuild it. If I knew one pair was better I'd go that route, otherwise I'll just rebuild A/B and have an original matched pair.

For what it is worth, the 1939 Buick shop manual page 25 includes:

Series 40-60:

Front - double acting, Delco model No 1948 A-B

Rear - double acting, Delco model No 2103 A-B

Series 80-90:

Front - double acting inertia, Delco model No 1902 C-D

Rear - double acting, Delco model No 1751 R-S

Guest Grant Magrath
Do like we do down under and just put series 80 or 90 shockies on her.

(no girly shockies down here mate :):))

Danny

Yeah!

All the 39 Chevs in NZ came with the double acting Master Deluxe rear shocks as standard. Didn't say a lot for our roads back then!

Cheers

Grant

Yeah! Didn't say a lot for our roads back then!

Cheers

Grant

Ours are not that much better now in a lot of places. For some unknown reason our government only spends 5-7 cents in the dollar of taxes collected in the name of "road taxes and levees".

Having done a lot of miles in a '39 here in Aus I can attest that those big series shockies do smooth out those ruts and bumps.

Danny