Leaning 63 and coil spring/shock dilemma.

Guest middleman

Guest middleman

The rear end of my 63 Rivie is sitting at an angle (pass side rear wheel looks tucked in rear fender about an inch more than driver side). Does the smart money say it's probably unevenly stressed original rear coil springs that should be remedied with new coil springs?

I'll be set to purchase lowered coil springs for front and rear soon and am wondering if a 1" or 2" lowered coil spring will require a lowered shock to be installed as well? Will a 2" front lowering using just the coil spring cause a noticeable camber issue?

JB

JB,

If the tires are not centered in the rear wheel wells and one side is sagging too, there may be two problems. The rear axle is centered side to side by the track bar or lateral link. These have rubber bushings that fail and can cause the rear axle to shift one way or another. This condition really makes the car handle very badly and require constant steering correction going down the road.

Worn springs usually manifest themselves as vehicle height differences from side to side or front to rear. I replaced the coil springs in my 63 Riv using coils from Eaton Detroit Spring. Not the cheapest but they gave the car the right ride height.

HTH,

Tim

Guest middleman

Hey Tim, looks like the bushings on the track bar are long gone. Can you point me in the right direction on where to buy these?

John B

Guest ahhh65riv

For the trac bar bushing- go to Classicbuicks part #RTBB6370.

One of the experts around here will have to vouch for the "improved design" claim. I am curious myself as I need to replace mine as well.

Erik

I put the Classic Buick track bar bushings on my '64 a couple of years ago. Made a huge difference in ride, handling, and lack of "clunking." I think that the track bar bushings for Buicks are the same size for many years. Before doing the same thing again, I think that i'd take a look at some places like Energy Suspension and see what they might have that would be the same size.

I found this listing on O'Reilly's website. It lists it for '65, '66, and '70, but Classic Buick says the same bushing is good for 63 - 70 Rivieras. ???? If your local O'Reilly has one in stock, it might be worth checking out to see if it is in fact compatible.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ENE0/37111G.oap?year=1966&make=Buick&model=Riviera&vi=1319183&ck=Search_03924_1319183_-1&pt=03924&ppt=C0106

If you'll look on the website and find the restoration resources link, you'll find many vendors that can supply these parts for you. If they're still being listed on the website, there hasn't been any bad reviews of their parts. Most of the vendors who might be supplying bogus parts have been weeded out. With them there's not really much need for referrals.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...