Taxis from Turku Finland in 1912.

Enclosed is a photo of the taxi caps in Turku Finland in 1912. The photo is taken in market square in the very center of the town. The first four cars from the left are quite easy to identify; Opel, Adler, Opel and Benz. Altogether there are 19 taxis. Somebody has written the names of the owners of the car and drivers on the back of the photo. I think photos like these are great documents.

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

post-31714-143138722623_thumb.jpg

My great-grandfather was a London taxi driver from 1908, starting with a Unic, having been a hansom cab (two-wheel horsedrawn) driver. In 1912 he was driving a Humjber laundaulet, and we have a photo of him in his cab.

Here s a photo from same area. The photo has been taken some years later (1913-1914) since the headlight of the cars have been taken off and on the taxis you see some wear. I have identified two or three Opels on the row. If you have any ideas of the makes/model/year of the rest the taxis I would like to hear from you.

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

post-31714-143138724769_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Casper Friedrich

Second photo, fourth car from left is a german NSU or NAW/Sperber. Hard to tell from this distance. I remember seeing an article about an early Finnish junkyard and NSU radiator from 1913/1914 there in a number of Suomen Kuvalehti from the 30s.

Edited by Casper Friedrich (see edit history)