Some pics

cowpatties

jpg.gifjpg.gif

Here are a couple pics of our 1930 Dodge DA6. As posted before looks like it has a 1929 DA motor in it.

Just ran Northeast Rally with it last weekend. Only trouble was float in carb had some cracks in, filled up with gas, so did not stop pumping gas into carb. Quick set epoxy was a temp fix for the weekend. Has a Carter BB1 carb on it that needs some work.

Questions:

This car seems heavier than listed. Anyone know correct weight? 2530 is what I see listed...

Really runs cool, besides idling would not need to have the fan running

Really a smooth running car. Could use a little better pick up in the 35-50 mph range. Does have an overdrive in it(bought it that way). Would like to hear what/if anyone has done any changes to increase pick up at the higher speeds.

Still looking for the front "Dodge 6" emblem if anyone hears of one...

post-78008-143138716417_thumb.jpg

post-78008-143138716459_thumb.jpg

Edited by cowpatties (see edit history)

Needs a paint job. Lots of cracks and spots where paint is coming off. Otherwise very solid car. Just some cosmetic stuff to do to it. Slight leak in the cover on top where it meets the metal. These DB cars really grow on you, really like the styling of the coupes.

Anyone use "Reinholds Restorations? See they are close to me and thinking about seeing if they could do the painting. Hope they can match the colors, as I am assuming they are the original colors for the car...or is it better to not paint? It seems to me that it has been painted one time, and the job was less than desireable...

So its a DA or a DD? I found pics on line that look exactly like this car that says a DD6....

DA-6, do you have the tag on the floorboard? Defanitely DA, welcome to my world. I can tell you the weights still if you like of DD but at this point prob. not relevent.

I would like to see pict. of the overdrive if you have the time, interesting to me and have never seen one.

Looks like a very nice paint job to me but I guess its just the pict. We can decode your build card and get the original color information if you ever decide to order a copy from Chrysler.

I wanted to do the build card, but wanted to first be sure what I had. Now that I am sure it is a DA, I am thinking the H code on the engine could actually be the correct one? We have two motors and I was going to send in both codes to see which one was the original.

Could not find any tag or ID markings anywhere on car. Didnt look at floorboard will need to check there.

We are NOT running it hard! The rally's it does are below speed limit on normal roads. Just transits are not timed, so we may get it to 55MPH. Normal 3rd 40-45 is highest we go, then overdrive. It is actually a good way to get these old cars out for people to see them and appreciate them. It is a timed rally, not a race!

Sometime check it out....Great Race was at AACA in Hershey past summer you will see it is not hard on the cars. Endurance tests, but not running them hard. It does keep them from becoming Hot rodded, plus it gets the younger generation involved in old cars(I'm 40), would never have become interested in old cars and keeping them that way until doing the rally's.

Right side toe board, wooden board, may be gone, serial number on R rail as well, either of these will work for the build card

I guess you can stop looking for that emblem as well

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

H14-996 and H95-261 are the numbers on the engines.

Number on paperwork, but not found on car, start with H followed by 6 numbers. That is the one I am not sure about. Need to spend some time searching for it on the car. Had looked at previous suggested spots, but not on the floorboard.

Oh, so the DA's dont have the Dodge 6 emblem. LOL well that explains things....

Last approx DA engine number was H-144892 far exceeding 99485. I say approx because that does not figure truck engines which would be another topic

I guess that the book I have separates the "1929 DA6" (which I was referring to) and the "1929-1930 DA6" which is NOT what I was referring to. Different steering setup in the later cars by Gemmer.

Quote.......... Different steering setup in the later cars by Gemmer..................Where are you reading this info?

There were no major up-dates to the streering system, there were minor up-dates within the steering system depending on car number but these were minute and un-detectable unless one were to really get into it.

There should not be a seperation of the cars, they were the same cars as the DA was built for a 15 month spam which as you know was common.

No matter if we were considering a DD-DC-DH-DG as you know there were many updates to all of these cars within their production period but esentially the vehicle did not change dramatically.

The Dodge story is chock full of errors when considering these earlier cars at least.

Jason, I suggest you get some more books such as the "Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990" and others. They have much better information than "The Dodge Story", which I have found hundreds of mistakes in. I did not say that there were MAJOR differences in the steering. I am simply adding some information here for the guy.

post-37352-143138717369_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138717379_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Let me just add that we all go by what some of the books say because we were not there to assemble the cars. The assemblers of the cars did not write these books. The "higher ups" did. We all know that between 1929 and 1932 MANY variations were used on the cars for mechanical items as well as trim. Leftover parts from previous years were used during the Great Depression years. NONE of the cars are identical according to what we have all discovered. I, for one am willing to learn all I can about the cars and I may be wrong by quoting some of the books.

I dont referance the Dodge story myself very often, you did in your post above ( picture of the coupe is page 67 in the Dodge story ) and I see you use the pictures from that book often in your posts.

I have been fortunate enough to find factory literature and this is what I try to use for referance material.

Standard catalogs of Chrysler cars and the Dodge story are two books that I have as well and the standard catalog is about as accurate as the Dodge story is in many instances.

You posted above different steering set-up in the later cars, that is simply not true and would lead to confusion.

Nothing personal but wouldnt do a bit of good not to make the correction

You wanna have some fun, page 68 lower left corner states that trunks were optional on the 4 passenger Victoria, this is not totally correct, mid span the trunks became standrd equipment, a confidential bulletin that David found for me cleared that up, tag your it :)

Guest danceswithpumps

Beautiful Dodge, Cowpatties! :) I thought all DA coupes were 5 window and DDs were only 3 window coupes. Sure looks like my 1930 DA, although mine has a golf bag door on right side in front of rear fender. Maybe yours has it but can't tell from your pic. Also, is your windshield frame originally chrome? Mine isn't.

I'm ordering a build sheet on mine soon and see on my title that my SN# is DA84565 (same as plate on floorboard), with a motor # H 99 961, although I haven't checked motor # for sure. wt is 2750.

DSC00869.jpg

DSC00866.jpg

DSC00892-1.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Cowpatties. I'd like to see some interior pics.:)

Thanks,

Rod

Edited by danceswithpumps (see edit history)

No golf bag door.

IDK about chrome around window frame, the way we bought it. Although I think this is the car that needed a new windshield on its way across the country in one of the Great Race's it ran with its previous owner, so probably not original.

Will get some more pics

I see your radiator cap is different....

Looks like you need to get it out more often! At least it looks like its out more than the combine its sitting in front of :)

Danceswithpumps...your car has the golf bag door because it has a rumble seat. No rumble seat = no golf bag door. Cowpatties car is a Business coupe. The golf bag door made the floor of the rumble seat area accessible which was not very accessible with the seat cushions in the way. The Business coupe did not need the side access.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest danceswithpumps

Ok, thanks again, John.:)

You're right, Cowpatties, my cap is not original. Probably 40 yrs. ago I put an aftermarket moto-meter on the cap that was on the car when my Dad bought it 61 years ago yesterday. I'd like to find an original like yours, however, I think yours needs to be turned 180 degrees, right?:)

Thanks,

Rod

Yes cowpatties cap is on backwards, windshield frame was not originally chromes on this model but does look original, there were at least two different variations to the windshield frame, ( ask Bob Zetnick about that, he learned the hard way but I did not help ! )

There were at least two different variations to the rad. cap and if anyone is interested I can go more into detail on that.

Rod your car is a deluxe coupe while patties is a standard, both virtualy the same cars with small variations.

I would like to learn more about this............We are NOT running it hard! The rally's it does are below speed limit on normal roads. Just transits are not timed, so we may get it to 55MPH. Normal 3rd 40-45 is highest we go, then overdrive. It is actually a good way to get these old cars out for people to see them and appreciate them. It is a timed rally, not a race!

Sometime check it out....Great Race was at AACA in Hershey past summer you will see it is not hard on the cars. Endurance tests, but not running them hard...........I know very little apparently

Also Rod Glen does a fantastic repro. on the cap, makes more sense to buy his than find a repro that might not take to a re-chrome anyway, or better yet find an original just to keep with the car but use the repro on the car.

Guest danceswithpumps
No golf bag door.

IDK about chrome around window frame, the way we bought it. Although I think this is the car that needed a new windshield on its way across the country in one of the Great Race's it ran with its previous owner, so probably not original.

Will get some more pics

I see your radiator cap is different....

Looks like you need to get it out more often! At least it looks like its out more than the combine its sitting in front of :)

Right, about not getting the Dodge out. I didn't get it out all summer. I'm still hoping to get it out for a short ride. I've had the charger on it several times though.:) The combine is a 1951, I believe, and hasn't been used since the late 70s but was my Dad's pride and joy. Don't see many like it especially in that shape.

Has your interior been restored? It was probably mohair originally, right?

Thanks,:)

Rod

Correct carb was a Stromberg U-2. There were several different variations of this carb, according to some service bulletins I have there were several updates made to the carb on the DA series alone.

The originals were pot-metal = junk so finding an original that is usable will be difficult. There were also cast iron versions avail as this carb from what I have been told ( but have not myself verified ) was used up until the 50s.

If you want a very nice reproduction and can afford it than chack out this site Welcome

Go to the catalouge and find Dodge and scroll down to the DA section.

I know that many Dodge DA owners use Tilliston carbs as well as others but I cannot say myself that this is a better carb for the car as I have never run one myself.

post-48869-143138721554_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some more pics

Last two are the overdrive. Kicking myself for not getting some pictures when it was out-needed some work-forgot to take pics before putting back in.

You will see one of the switches for it on the shift lever-that puts it in overdrive pushing clutch in activates a switch that takes it out. Also a nob that can be pulled manually in/out to engage/disengage.

Inside probably was redone in the 70's we think.

Did finally find the serial number for the car DA-112188. (IS THIS CORRECT? I AM SURE OF 112, THEN THE 1 I AM NOT SURE THEN THE 88 I AM SURE. I also can't see the A at all but can see the D. So I just want to be sure of correct number when I send in) Will need to send in paperwork to Chrysler to get build sheet.

Also check out this link-here we are rallying in Delaware.

The Great Race News Just scroll down to bottom.

Speedometer you see in pics is just a 0-50 MPH that shows every MPH-called a Timewise that is more accurate than normal speedos. Needed for the timed rallys.

Nice DA, you have alot of the hard to find parts that most cars are missing. Try wetting the numbers a little to see if that helps you to see them, wet them and get down there with a flashlight and a good pair of eyes, see if that helps.

Hard to tell on the interior, looks original ( especially the door panel R side ) to me. Maybe better pictures with some lighting would help.

I would just note if you dont mind.....Missing obviousely dome lamp lens, aftermarket heater, please be carefull with the wiper motor, very fragile and very hard to find, correct vaccuum tank but maybe you are missing the weep hole cover, if you are you would want to fix this right away or you are going to wish you had, looks like correct sediment bowl, please be carefull with that......I thought wiper motors were hard to find :) ( better pictures of that would confirm it is correct ) Again the interior sure looks original to me, correct brake fluid cansier which are usually rotte out, wrong Gen. and solenoid does not belong but you can buy a new correct starter switch, Horns can be challenging to find but yours is right. shame on the crappy overdrive pictures, my e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com if you think sending me the original pictures in original size would help.

I could go on and on with what I see ( boy those copper lines are really bugging me ) but I will just end this post by saying Boy what a nice car, you just dont see them like that very often.

Guest danceswithpumps

Beautiful car, Cowpatties. :) Thanks for the pics.

Originally, my DA had a design under the window on the top of the door panels. I don't have any pictures of it but it was a 2 inch, or so, strip that went parallel to the bottom of window. Cowpatties may not have had it as his is a Business and mine is a Deluxe coupe. Anyone remember that design or have pics?

Thanks, :)

Rod