1983 Buick Riviera Convertible

Guest merrillcrosbie

Guest merrillcrosbie

Hi! I am very happy to have found this forum. I am the original owner of a 1983 Buick Riviera Convertible. Mine is especially rare in that it has a Buick 4.1 liter engine instead of the Oldsmobile 5.0 liter engine that is most common in these cars. I currently have 125,000 miles on my Riv, many of which were put on traveling to various ROA meets over the years. My Riv is still in excellent condition with perfect leather and paint. It is unrestored, but meticulously maintained. A very smooth cruiser.

Everything still works, but I am getting worried about finding electronic parts in the future. I replaced a relay for the load leveling shock absorbers several years ago and it took me months to find the part at a dealer across the country (with help from an ROA member), and it had become hugely expensive. Are there any sites specializing in electronic parts for these vintage autos?

Thanks!

post-80272-143138713696_thumb.jpg

post-80272-143138713699_thumb.jpg

post-80272-143138713701_thumb.jpg

post-80272-143138713703_thumb.jpg

post-80272-143138713705_thumb.jpg

post-80272-143138713707_thumb.jpg

Edited by merrillcrosbie (see edit history)

I've been traveling and just saw this post.

Two years ago, I bought a junkyard-condition '83 Riviera convertible (that can happen with an eBay purchase :( . And, I've spent the time since replacing or fixing EVERYTHING on that car. I bought a running parts car that is the identical car with the hardtop. That has been invaluable to me.

RockAuto has been the source of most of my new parts. Of course, since I have the 5.0 engine, I also search under Oldsmobile parts and on Oldsmobile forums. For yours, a similar search under Cadillac parts and on Caddy forums should yield good leads.

Of course, used and junkyard cars are still found in various places, and on Craigslist.

Having been the original owner, at least you have all the parts in place and know exactly what goes where and what they look like, which was not my situation.

I am sure that you will enjoy the good information on this forum. Thanks for the photos of your fine car.