Help identifying a DB coupe?

Guest AZhitman

Guest AZhitman

Hi guys - thanks for the great resource. I'm a Datsun collector / restorer, and also own a '31 Model A Roadster. I've run across a car that I have the opportunity to obtain, but I'd like to know a little more about it first.

Figured I'd come to the experts.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some photos:

DB3.jpg

DB2.jpg

DB1.jpg

DB.jpg

VERY cool looking 1929 Dodge Brothers DA6 coupe with 1926 Chrysler headlamps and wrong parking lights (added to the front fenders). It has a rumble seat, so it is called a four passenger coupe or sport coupe. Headlamp bar is correct....just the headlamps have been replaced. Love the golf bag door on the side!

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest AZhitman

Thanks much sir!

A "golf bag door" - How cool is that?!?!

I know the pictures aren't great, but does it appear to be reasonably complete? Is it rare? I'm trying to get an idea of what I should offer for it, considering the expense of restoration.

Thanks again!

Actually it is a deluxe coupe, no such thing as a sport coupe in the DA series. a very sought after car and not many left. I would go a bit higher if I had the opprtunity, say 55 and if that does not buy it than walk away from it because evidently the current owner hasnt a clue.

Missing rad cap, dust caps, crank hole cover, original running boards have been replaced at one point with wood. Wrong front bumper guards, driving lights dont belong there, ect and I am only pointing this out so you have some ammunition against seller if they choose to tell you its all there.

A very nice car and hoping I can see more pict.

Guest AZhitman

Wow. Excellent info. Thanks, gentlemen.

I will go over there tomorrow and take more photos, and "feel out" the owner to see what he needs to get for it.

I'll give it a more thorough inspection (I want to make sure it's within my realm of skills to restore).

Thanks again - Any additional info is welcome, you guys have a great resource here!

I should add that I am assuming it has the drivetrain in it, I wouldnt care if it were locked up but to go as high as I suggested it would at least have to be there for the most part. If its missing than I wouldnt go any higher that 25-3000 and would prob personally almost walk away from it even at that.

Guest AZhitman

Makes sense.

I went over and gave it another look today - engine and trans are intact, interior is obviously gone (at least the "soft parts"). Surprisingly little corrosion.

I'll get over there when it's not 100* outside and bring some tools, I want to make sure the engine turns and look underneath it and inside the door frames and rumble seat.

There will be alot of wood in this body, just something to consider, open the rear seating area, look behind the seat in the compartment below the window, water will collect in these areas and make a mess.

I wouldnt let it discourage me as long as there were pattern material there but again something to consider.

Dont worry about the door frames, might run a magnet along the bottoms of the doors and around the lower portion of car, its been painted and prob alot of mud but again I wouldnt let that discourage you.

Out of curiousity where is it 100 degrees still ?

I have no money to buy the car myself but I am curious also where it is.