wanting to buy 32 series 900 wire wheels

Guest xkkid67

Guest xkkid67

looking for a nice set of 32 series 900 wire wheels also side mounts and fenders, converting a light eight with steelies to wires.

1932 900 wire wheels had adjustable spokes while the '33 Standard had welded spokes. Otherwise the wheels were identical. You might be able to find '33 wheels. The adjustable spoke '32 wheels will be much more difficult. If converting to sidemounts you will need fenders, sidemount brackets and a 1 piece rear bumper which is virtually impossible to find. If the car has a rumble seat you will also need a different rumble seat step plate for the rear bumper.

Actually the "nippled" 900 and 1001 wheels are 1/2" narrower. We just went through all of that this season and confirmed it yet again (!) last Friday. My friend has both cars, 1001 and 1002 and we were sorting things out. Still, the nippled wheels do pop up now and then and are sometimes mistaken for the more senior of the lines. It always pays to measure. If the 8cyl wheels you find are indeed nippled they could have been chromed when new for an Eight or Super 8. Another close friend has an 1104 spt phaeton with 6 nippled wheels that were chromed at one point. They're all approx 5" at the rim edge, a 900/1001 is closer to 4 1/2. Just some food for thought...

Since I did bring up chrome, the Packard way, while they were always willing to accomodate, was chrome spokes and center with a painted rim and a trim ring applied. I've seen only 1 picture of a Packard drop center rim in chrome, and that was on a display chassis. Everything else is usually a painted rim. I can't recall many chrome spokes with painted centers and rims. That was normally a Cadillac trait, but I'm sure a couple folks may have asked for it. I've sen a few factory shots of full chrome "snap ring" type wheels. More brain food...