CENTER ram air hood adjustment HELP PLEASE !!!!

Guest lwk442

Guest lwk442

:mad::confused: HELP GUY'S

I am trying to restore a 1970 oldsmobile 442-w30 conv.

I BOUGHT A NEW REPO COWEL INDUCTION HOOD STEEL BACKED RENFORCED FROM THE PARTS PLACE IN IL. I got the hood it had a couple of scratches on it no big deal. We put the hood on and we saw this big gap on passenger side and also a big dip in center of hood. Call the sales people back

send it back for credit. BUT the owner get on the phone and start's telling me about the center adjustment of hood and also because I did not put the hood latches in it would never fit and he is charging me a restocking fee and was like yelling at me saying I did not know what I was doing and the same with body shop. But PLEASE give me a little info from the olds expert's. with the at least 1/2 gap from the fender leading to center of hood and a big DIP in the center. PLEASE ANSWER ME THIS IF I PUT THE HOLD DOWN'S ON AND ADJUSTED THE ( SO CALLED ) CENTER ADJUSTER'S IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE.

Is their anybody out their with any type of title or old's rebuilding

expertise who will put their name on the answer please explaine what I

did wrong if I am in fact a person who is stupid. I know you will want picture's

but let me tell you with this type of gap and a big dip in the fiberglass going to the center. Which I sent pictures to the PARTS PLACE and they agreed with me. All was fine until the owner got on the phone and started like chewing my butt. I went with the steel renforced to advoid any trouble and paid the extra mony for it. I have 1 more thing to say got another repo hood from MONDELLO'S in CA. And I will be darn it fit with out any of these issue's.

We are just car lover's and spend hard earned money to bring back these

classic's. We spend more money than we will ever get out of them. But we want them right! I could not bear to look down that hood and see the flaw's

and repair is out of the question when you trust in a place that stand's

behind their prouduct. I bought many thousand's of dollar's of part's from them. So it's not like i bought a .02 cent washer. All I ever wanted was the

what I payed for no more no less. So if their is any body out their that can help me with a reply which I will pass on th the PARTS PLACE. I can see if I bought a 100.00 hood but it was far from that and they still have not gave me a refund or what ever amount they decide to maybe give me back.

I SAY ALL OF YOU OLD'S TECH'S AND CAR GUY'S CAN YOU HELP ME WITH SOME DIRECTION? And the kicker is I waited a extra 8 week's for them to get the hood in! We must stick together I do not want this happing to another person

the money we put in these car's is from back breaking work.

THANK YOU TO ALL IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!! lwk442@aol.com

PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECT SO I CAN GET YOUR ANSWER'S AT WORK TOMMROW

ON MY PHONE. I may be wrong and you would have to do all this center adjustment but please let me know. If I am wrong I will retract anything I said about THE PARTS PLACE IN ILL. But all of you can be the judge of that!

That is why I use all of everyone else's smart's( and this forum ) to learn from. And make me a better car bulider.

Plus one of the main reasons I am saying all of this is I do not want this to happen to any one else!!

• 2 weeks later...

My first ? is, is it a cowl induction hood (air inlet at the rear) or an Oldsmobile Outside Air Induction hood (two scoops at the front).

Next ? is it a Thornton hood or a generic repro. I've never heard of anyone having fitment issues with a Thornton. The others, yes.

I'm not seeing where having the twist latches would correct a dip in the center of the hood or a wide hood to fender gap esp if it lines up and does not sit higher than the fenders. But I've never messed with anything but an original hood either.

You can try posting the question on classicoldsmobile.com or realoldspower.com. Lot of folks there have experience with these hoods. Be forewarned- ROP can get kinda rowdy.

They maybe talking about the adjusters on the front of the core support one on the left and one of the right. When I put my ram air hood on, we had to adjust those down a smidge to get the nose gap right but other than that..it fit like a charm and mine is the Fiber Concepts all Fiberglass hood with steel inserts for hood hindges and hood "catch" up front.