1962 LeSabre Speedo question

Guest 62lesabre

Guest 62lesabre

I have a 1962 LeSabre with 34,000 orig miles on it between me and my parents we have had the car for about 20 years they just recently gave it to me because it wasnt being driven. I was driving it a few weeks ago and noticed the speedometer wasnt working i parked it because i didnt have time to look at it right then, i drove it a few days ago and when you get to 60 it starts working so i pulled the core out of the cable lastnight and it looks ok just dry but there is a very thin plastic tube on the core the whole length of it and its broken so i took it off looks like some kind of a liner. So my question is do i need to put that back in or can i lube the cable and put it back together without it. Also the speedometer needle has never went back to 0 it always stops at 10 can i take the gauge apart and clean it or should i send it to someone to fix it or is that related to the cable being dry. Thanks in advance!

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

If the cable is dry it should be lubricated, but I would think you'd want to use it with the liner, so maybe you can measure the old cable and see if you can buy a new one at your local NAPA or whatever Auto parts store is close to you?

Any new cable assemblies should come pre-lubed and ready for use.

As for the other issues with the speedometer head itself, IF you've "been there" before, it's best to send them in for repair. There's a shop in MI that has done great work for many BCA members over the years. He can probably fix you up with a new cable assembly too. I don't have his contact information, but others probably do.

Enjoy!

NTX5467