1927 dodge transmission drive line question

Guest dbsbdesoto

Guest dbsbdesoto

I am still working on getting a good transmission for my 1927 dodge 128. It is a late 27 and has some of the features of the 28 on it. I found a rebuilt transmission from a 1927 dodge 124 that has a enclosed drive line and mine has a open drive line. Could it be possible that it could be used or maybe the inter parts installed in the 128 transmission case. If anyone has the answer I would appreciate it. But maybe we can all learn a little from it. enclosed it a picture of the car. Thanks

post-70773-143138673869_thumb.jpg

post-70773-143138673871_thumb.jpg

Might be the answers can be found in the parts books if no-one else can answer the question for you I can look in the books and can maybe help

Pretty car by the way, I love the color

Looking at the reproduction 1914-1933 parts book it appears that the transmissions are different if you had them side by side on the bench. So, as you probably figured, they will not just 'bolt up'. The good news is the gears and bearings appear to be used on the 124, 128 and a number of 1928 models. Problem is not all the parts! Such at lock plates and shafts. So, it seems at the very least you would want to carefully disassemble, label and photograph each part keeping the 2 sets of parts separate. Then rebuild with the best interchangable part from the 124 or 128 into your 128 transmission. The parts are covered in section D-21 of the parts book but not every piece of the transmission components is listed since it was post 1933. Section D-21 runs 23 booklet size pages. At one time Romar and Myers sold the reproduction parts book. It you want to send me an email: paulmarg@gmail.com I could copy them and send them to your address on the honor system for the couple of bucks to have copied and mailed. Probably less than $ 5.00 including postage. On the other hand trial and error and lots of labeling and measuring on your parts probably would figure out just as well. Best wishes.

Paul

You might save yourself alot of time to used the parts book that are specific for the vehicles as I mentioned above, nice of Paul to offer though as well