1954 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Coupe

Although I'm not an Oldsmobile guy, I'm blown away by this car. This Holiday Coupe had a frame-off restoration to show standards in 2003, and has been driven about 5500 miles since then. Car is Flare Red over Polar White, which seems to be the original color combination. Red and gray interior, back seat is 100% original, which shows A) how nice the car was to begin with, and B) how well the restoration matches the original spec.

Restoration was done to a very high standard, and it's detailed underneath with no undercoating and no rust anywhere. Original steel body panels throughout. Chrome uniformly excellent with no pitting or washed-out details. No waves in the bumpers. Emblems and "Holiday" script as new. The unique Oldsmobile "globe" emblems front and rear are near-perfect--I don't know how they did that. Car starts easily and drives as it should with no notable issues. Gauges all functional, radio works, clock does not seem to be operational, but may also be disconnected to preserve the battery when parked. All power window motors work properly and even the indicator light on the emergency brake is functional.

The 324 cubic inch Rocket V8 was fully rebuilt during restoration and runs like new. Good oil pressure, no unusual sounds. Automatic transmission shifts well, and the indicator on the steering column works properly. Starts almost instantly, even after sitting for several weeks. 12 volt electrics mean it is reliable and easy to start, and the factory generator is still in place. Rides well with modern shocks. Accelerates smoothly with that great Hydra-Matic whine and a V8 burble, and surprisingly quick out on the open road.

It shows some signs of being driven, but most of it is stuff like bugs in the radiator and some dirt on the chassis that could be cleaned off in an afternoon to return the car to near show condition. Exhaust manifolds were left raw cast iron as original, so they show some rust which is completely normal. Some paint flaking off of intake manifold due to fuel leak while the car was in storage (has been fixed properly), but it's minor. I can find no blemishes in the exterior paint, the interior is excellent with only very, very light wear and some minor cracking on the top edge of the rear seat cushions (remember they're original).

Options include power steering, Hydra-Matic automatic transmission, power brakes, power windows, Autronic Eye (functional), heater/defroster, fender skirts, and AM radio with rear speaker.

This is an extremely nice car from a collection where they're all near #1 machines that have a full-time mechanic looking after them to keep them in top condition. I can't imagine there are many nicer than this. It'll hit our website and Hemmings in a few days, but I wanted to give my friends on this board first shot at it.

$35,900 or best offer.

post-31138-143138670585_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138670589_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138670593_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138670595_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138670597_thumb.jpg

post-31138-1431386706_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138670603_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138670606_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138670609_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138670612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
added info on rear speaker for radio (see edit history)