65 Turn Signal Switch

MartyWorld

Guest Kingoftheroad

When I changed mine out, some years ago, you had to buy used switches. There were no new or repros available. You can clean the contacts to some extent..

Hi Marty,

As Jim has cautioned be careful when you open the switch as there are 4 (?) very small ball bearings which enable the contacts to glide back and forth while the other half of the switch remains stationary. Not a bad idea to have another switch handy as you will most likely find wear on several of the contacts in your switch. I`m assuming the switch does not light both front and rear signals occasionally? A good cleaning and some fresh di-electric grease along with replacing any worn contacts with good ones salvaged from an extra switch should bring your switch up to par.

As Jim has mentioned, depending on your symptoms, there may be issues with the other components of the signal system. Good luck,

Tom Mooney

Thank you gentlemen for your suggestions.

Yes Tom, my turn signals operate most of the time. When I adjust my tilt wheel, that

usually remedies the situation.

It is time I get out a volt meter to verify other grounding issues.

I know at least one problem is the switch.

I am going to pick up a used one first and rebuild......do any of you know who has one?

As always, thank you for your help.

Marty

Marty-

From your symptoms and cure, I would say that your problem is the signal actuating cable, and not the switch. This is a common problem on 1st Generation Rivs. I am in the middle of writing up an article about it for the Riview. The switch may be tight and that's what caused the actuating cable to fail (but I doubt it). It never hurts to take the switch apart, clean it, and lightly lubricate it.

Same/similar problem I'm experiencing on my '64 Riv with Tilt.

Looking forward to your article, Jim ------------ will it make the Sept/October issue?

Rudy

Same/similar problem I'm experiencing on my '64 Riv with Tilt.

Looking forward to your article, Jim ------------ will it make the Sept/October issue?

Rudy

Not if I don't off my a** and finish it! I field so many questions about tilt column turn signals not working right, I just had to write it.

I posted on the "Buick Buy/Sell" and "windjamer" was very kind to respond.

"Windjamer" purchased a switch from www.shee-mar.com

I checked the website and I believe I found the correct switch for my 65 Riviera with tilt wheel.

Please see the attached.

Thank you,

Marty

That looks like the correct switch if you do not have Cornering Lights.

The first thing I recommend you do is to remove the external spring from the switch before installing it. It is not needed and it contributes to the failure of the actuator cable.

For a temporary fix, because one generally uses the tilt in the same position while actually operating the car, adjust the switch to the neutral position with the tilt wheel in place where you would normally drive the car. The turn signals and brake lights should operate normally in that position until you can get the actuating cable fixed,

Tom Mooney