model A steering

caf

There are two types of Model A Steering Gear, the 7 tooth sector style and the 2 tooth sector style. Both will bolt up on any year Model A Frame just fine. There are also at least two different length steering shafts. Off the top of my head I don't remember which model had the longer steering shaft. The only potential problem might be a loss of driver room if you are installing a longer steering shaft than was originally in the car. You could measure the overall length of the two steering columns to make sure. Also, the steering wheels are not interchangable between the keyed and splined style steering wheel shafts.

Thanks Matt, I was thinking the later gear is designed with more adjustment available and probably would work a lot better with much less slack. There isn't much you can do with the earlier one other that change out the parts and hope the worm and sector will be better. Thanks for the heads up on the length of the shaft, I'll check that first before getting carried away with this project. I overhauled the earlier gear a few years ago and although it is better , it is still not acceptable, especially on rough or narrow roads with a crown. I put about 40 miles on it yesterday and it is not real relaxing to drive it that way.

The 7 tooth gear can be adjusted with the addition of some shims, but yes the 2 tooth gear is more easily adjusted. I think that the first 2 tooth gears were in 1929, so it would be possible to change to a 2 tooth gear with the right length shaft, but you just have to be sure you get the right one. I think that all of the normal Model A vendors sell rebuilt steering gears. I have always rebuilt my own since the price of a rebuilt one sort of scared me.

Where are you located? Shipping cost might be substantial on a steering gear assembly. I would trust anything from Bratton's, but if you are on the west coast, I have heard good things about Bert's... I just have no personal experience with them.

Matt's right about the 2 tooth coming out in 29 and your best solution is to find one of these. It will have a collar (clamp) right above the gear, an open top quadrant and the splined shaft. The 29 style wheel with the spline is hard to find and the horn rod is a different length than the one for the keyed unit. It's much better but it's very hard to find all that.