Found an old oldsmobile (1953?)today on my hunting lease

Guest j_seph

Guest j_seph

I know nothing about old cars but I believe it is a 1953. I also know nothing about restoring them nor if parts are any good. I have attached a few pics of the chrome front bumper, hood ornament and trunk ornament if anyone is interested I can get these parts. I don't know whats left inside but will wait till cooler weather to find out(I hate snakes, wasp, and spiders)

IMAG0058-1.jpg

IMAG0057-1.jpg

IMAG0056-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest prs519

Might be interesting to check the vin against stolen cars. I would search that car

pretty closely since its circumstances seem so odd. It appears to have been put where it is

to insure it is out of sight, for what that is worth.

Guest PStrick198

I want to know the letters are stick on letters or bolted on? How much for them? I have a 53 olds 98 I am restoring. I need door handles and drivers side window. the emergency brake bracket the holds the two lines together. I also need the inside side panels in the front left and right side under the dash. If you have them can you tell me how much you will sell them? I am retired so income is limited. I will send you photos of my car if you like. I spent the last five years fixing and tinkering. still working on the brakes, they work going forward but don't work in reverse yet. Do you have idea?

Thanks Paul PStrick198

• 1 month later...

Probably dumped on it's side to get at something underneath it. Stainless, valve covers, intake if 4bbl, carb if 4bbl, steering wheel and dash stuff depending how rough, grille, front bumper, any solid body parts all worth stripping. THen knock it back on it's bottom and see how the stainless is from the other side. And for the last guy, 55 and 53 are completely different bodies and none of the things you want will fit your car. Also, brakes either work or don't work, there's no directional switch in them.

Guest rsd9699

All the lettering and emblems were bolted - very little was glued on.

A lot of the mechanical stuff will fit from 55 to 53 but not the body parts in general unless you are going to need patch panels. The body starting 54 is about 2 inches wider and longer.

If you have not rebuilt the wheel cylinders - then you are lucky to have brakes at all - they work the same going forward as backward unless parts are rusted in place. There is a chance that the anchor pin has been messed with to make rear braking limited.

Also replace ANY rubber hoses for your own and others safety.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...