How do I "ID" my 1948 Buick

Guest Andy the Hippie

Guest Andy the Hippie

Hi folks, I have recently received a 1948 Buick 2 door and am getting different info on what model it "Really" is. There is a small tag that I would call the VIN tag, it is on the passenger side above the larger "Buick Motor Division" Tag.

The "VIN" tag reads 24938704

The tag below that is labeled "Buick Motor Division" and Shows

1948 MOD

Style No. 4707

Body No. C1481

Trim No. 76

Paint No. 823

Any help so that I can call this the "Right Car" by correct Model is greatly appreciated.....

Thanks in Advance for any help.....Andy

Andy, that's a handsome Buick you have there! Those years are among the most dramatic postwar Buicks built.

Serial No..............= 2 (South Gate, CA, Ass'y Plant)...4938704....Frame or Serial #

Style No. 4707......= Model 76S, Roadmaster Sedanet

Body No. C1481....= Body Build # (unsure about the "C")

Trim No. 76..........= Grey Heather Bedford Cord

Paint No. 823.......= Nickel Grey

Hope this helps,

TG

The "identification" of the car is the model number; in this case 76-S. When you tell other Buick people that you have a 48 model 76-S they will both know what you are talking about and will be envious. Buick built 20,542 Roadmaster Sedanets in 1948 plus 107 for export.

Guest Andy the Hippie

Hello Everyone....

I would like to say Thank You to TG57Roadmaster for helping to clearly ID my 1948 Buick and also Thank You to each of you that responded as well. I really appreciate your help. Once I get her up and running I will post some pictures of her being enjoyed.

Thanks Again, Andy

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Andy:

TG has correctly noted the lead 2 in your frame (VIN) number as indicating that your car was built in the Southgate, Ca, plant. The C in the body number is for the Fisher plant in Southgate, so everything checks off OK.

The balance of the number (4,938,704) is the unique frame number for this car and indicates a build date around the last week of June or the first week of July 1948.

If the original engine is in the car, you should find stamped on a small ledge near the distributor an engine number. Most probably, it will be in the range of 5093000 7 to 5137000 7, where the 7 indicates an engine for a 70 series car.

Regards, Dave Corbin