id on engine number

Guest prof pat

Guest 1hooligan

Try to determine the engine in my 34 woody. appears to be ?5-23798 any help? It appears to have a rebuild tag from some time, long time ago.

post-59599-14313860383_thumb.jpg

Guest 1hooligan

Yes, it is based on the KCL chassis. Thanks. Can you tell me if the engine number is correct for a the 34 production peroid?

Hi Nice woody.

Don Bunn& TomBrownell put out a book titled 'Dodge Pickups historyand restoration guide 1918-1971.

It was published and printed by 'motorbooks international. isbn #0-87938-491-3

It is a good reference & contains the following;

1934 Suburban sedan

...a 7 -to 8 passenger4 door, wooden bodied Suburban Sedanor station wagon

Dodge supplied it's 111&1/4" chassis & the body was made by US Forging Company of Frankfort, Indiana

In 1935 the wagon's name was changed to Westchester Suburban Sedan.

In 34 it cost $745.

On or around Jan 1st 34, the front axle changed to an I beam replacing the round tubular one.

Engine size increased to 3&1/8'bore with 4&3/8 stroke producing 202.3 c.i.

A new instrument panel was added as well (the one with 3 round guages)

As for dating the car by engine # I cant help you.

Regards beetles

Guest DodgeKCL

It would be better if you could provide the serial number from the firewall plate. On DODGE TRUCKS on a large black and silver plate on the firewall there will be an 8 million or 9 million number. My books would then tell whether it really is a '34 or possibly a '35. I have found it very difficult to separate 1934 KC(L)S from 1935 KC(L)s. They were virtually the same. The '33 HC(L)s had the '33 car dash, the '34s and '35s had the dash from the 1931 Chev car and truck. Don't ask me why. The AC DELCO instruments transpose but of course ours have unique Dodge faces.

Another book I have says 1934 KCs had engines starting at T5-1001 and KCLs started at DT5-1001. For 1935 it says both the KC and KCL engines started at T12-1001. However my own opinion is that 1935 KC/KCLs could have the lighter T-5. I may be wrong. Stay tuned.

If the large plate is missing from the firewall you can find the chassis serial number on the left frame cheek just behind the left front spring. It is low down about 2 inches above the bottom of the frame face and is about 8" long. It is stamped into the steel. You can do some wire brushing in the area to find the number. It's stamped in pretty deep.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Guest 1hooligan

the number on the firewall plate states KCL 8027390 and is the original plate. there is also a elongated oval much small plate below the id plate, which I think is the cantrell body number.

Guest DodgeKCL

Quote: 1934 KC-Starting 8023001,ending 8048626. KCL-Starting 9202001,ending 9203885.

Either the numbers in my book are backwards or you have a KC not a KCL? But that would be obvious because the wheelbase would be 119" for a KCL.

The 1935 numbers start where the '34 numbers leave off so you have a '34.

The small oval plate is the body type and body serial number from Dodge. Although you might think the truck had no body on it when Dodge had it, they still considered the fenders and cowl and hood to be a body. The 'LR xxxx' means 'line registration' and is the body serial number. The letters and numbers before the LR are the engineering code for the body type,regardless that it was only a cowl and chassis. It will most likely be B-1-0 meaning 'flat faced cowl' or B-2-0 for a 'windshield cowl'? I believe the latter as I think I see Dodge 'A' posts and Dodge windshield.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)