Dropped oil pan on 31 DH......YUCK!

Guest R-ajax peterson

Guest R-ajax peterson

Yesterday I dropped the oil pan.:eek: I bought this car from an estate, had sat for years in garage. From the look of the 3/4 inch of black sludge in the pan, (bottom 1/4 looked like stop leak), I guess that the pan hasent been off since it was restored in probably the 70's :confused:. The cork gasket was clean in the center areas. Crankcase, et.all, looks pretty good as do cylinder walls. Are there any options for a oil filter retro-fit? I dug into the sludge and slid between my fingers. Could hardly feel any grit...certainly nothing of any size. :rolleyes:

Rick

post-56345-143138593836_thumb.jpg

Heres one option that maybe you could expand on in your own way.....http://forums.aaca.org/f120/oil-filter-278075.html

I am not sure what the oil filter looks like originally on a 31 but if memory serves me it is smaller than the earlier models but something could still be worked up I am sure.

I am sure your car came originally with an oil filter and if you would like exact information on model # with photos let me know. As long as it was made my Purolator I would have the original data sheets. If it was A/C than I cannot help

Guest R-ajax peterson

As far as I can tell from my manual, and the car, 1931 DH never came with an oil filter. Just a screen in the crankcase. ???????

That is interesting, I looked in the parts book that has photos and you are correct, thanks for pointing that out, I wonder why that was, I am waiting for Keiser to explain that to me.

However in my Purolator book they do list a kit which means there was a kit avail. aftermarket for your car, I will see if I can find a photo and whatever other info might help tonight after work.

Would you mind posting pictures of your engine both sides, I would like to see where this kit that Purolator lists might have been plumbed in, there must be a machined threaded tap of some kind somewhere on the side of the block.

The kit that my book mentions covers the new Dodge 6 Jan 31 to Dec 31. It is kit 19 which is widely used on these Chrysler engines. It states in the instructions for mounting that there is a ......REMOVE FROM THE MOTOR ( THATS ONE OF MY PET PEEVES, A MOTORS ELECTRIC DUMMY ) THE 1/8 PIPE PLUG WHICH IS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE CRANKCASE PAN FLANGE DIRECTLY UNDER THE STARTER. .........

Don't know exactly why Dodge did not have a filter in 1931. Here is Glen and Edna Wasmuth's '31 with a filter setup.....this is what I will be installing on my '31. The one that Phil 32DL6 shows is basically the same one.

post-37352-143138593905_thumb.jpg

Two notes: the one I linked to on eBay and the one John shows in the picture were more often mounted on the firewall...right where the Wasmuth's overflow tank is installed. That's where my earlier DL6 has it.

Currently, I have a different type installed on my newer DL6. It takes a modern screw-on cartridge filter and is mounted on the engine. It's not as authentic-looking, but heck, it sure is easy finding a filter. It came with the car so I don't have a source. If you want pictures, let me know.

Two notes: the one I linked to on eBay and the one John shows in the picture were more often mounted on the firewall...right where the Wasmuth's overflow tank is installed. That's where my earlier DL6 has it.

Currently, I have a different type installed on my newer DL6. It takes a modern screw-on cartridge filter and is mounted on the engine. It's not as authentic-looking, but heck, it sure is easy finding a filter. It came with the car so I don't have a source. If you want pictures, let me know.

I would love to see photos of that setup.

So it looks like going by Keisers photos of Glens car that the block is machined for the set-up so it will be just as easy as buying the one that Phil showed on e-pay, Id offer the guy 50 bucks and be happy you got it, nice looking filter.

... the block is machined for the set-up...

Jason...did you mean the block or the firewall? When the filter is mounted on the engine, the filter canister bracket just slips under the head bolts so there's no special machining as such.

However, both of my DL6s have holes drilled in the same place in the firewall, so that MAY mean they were factory-drilled, or at least my newer one used to have a filter mounted there at one time. Or, maybe something else when there??

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

To clarify things for the 32 DL6, here's a page from my manual. The engine-mounted oil filter was stock. So, while the spin-on canister style filter on my newer DL6 isn't original, the location is. Makes sense, too, when you consider that it could be plumbed with rigid copper tubing, as mine still is.

(Hey...where's the horn?)

post-61720-143138594294_thumb.jpg

No I meant the block on the DH engine that Keiser showed had the outlet port for the oil lines already there. That is a mystery to me why no oil filter and it appears on your 32 engine that the outlet is exactly where my manual says it should be for the 31 but I cant tell exactly where the outlet is on the picture John posted.

On DA engine oil outlet is centered more toward the middle of block, out of curiousity Phil did your car originally come with a Purolator or the OTHER brand.

Also stupid question but since you brought it up where is the horn??

Great picture by the way.

You may have noticed that the oil port on the block of my later DL6 has a two-port brass fitting which connects to the oil filter AND the oil pressure gauge. I suppose that if a year/model didn't come equipped with a filter that port might still be needed for the gauge?

And, here is one the original pictures I saw on eBay that got my heart thumping about buying it. It confirms that I got it with a Purolator filter. The Wix is a swap-out I later picked up from an Acme Auto. Why do you ask?

post-61720-14313859431_thumb.jpg

I think you misunderstood, my question was meant to ask did your car originally in 1932 come with a purolator or an A/C oil filter. Dodge used both types of filters, I guess it was whomever could supply them cheapest.

And you mentioned on the post above showing the engine from your manual hey wheres the horn, that was also my question

Guest R-ajax peterson

Wow!....... such great info and questions. Looking at all of the pics, and manual scans; yes... my engine does have the "tapped" holes into the block as shown in models ,where.. oil filters do exist..are stock ..original, or retro-fitted.

John Keiser...WHAT the heck is up with our DH's..!!!??? Maybe the thought was...filters don't work so well anyhoo, (at that time).....Soooooo... drop the pan, change the oil in the fall and spring of each year...Wash, inspect, get out of the house...test drive to Tavern..

That may be my the best way for me to go. HMMMMMMM!!!! Sounds right. 1931...Yes that'll work just fine for me.

If you '31 guys think nothing of dropping the pan at the drop of a hat...you've got it made! On my '32 I have to put a jack under the back of the engine to support it, remove a cross member, and the "Floating Power" leaf spring & motor mount ensembly before I can drop the pan.

Guest R-ajax peterson

Yikes!!! I feel your pain Phil. First round at the Tavern is on me. Second on John K. Maybe we'll even through in a filter cartridge.

If you '31 guys think nothing of dropping the pan at the drop of a hat...you've got it made! On my '32 I have to put a jack under the back of the engine to support it, remove a cross member, and the "Floating Power" leaf spring & motor mount ensembly before I can drop the pan.

We really DO have it made except for that babbit bearing thing.

Filters worked just fine and there was a huge market for them so thats not the answer, prob. was a cost cutting method and nothing more.