Head question

wht89reatta

Guest Recian

Ive got the heads off mine right now. If they need to be shaved down i'll let you know heh. The combustion chamber within the head is pretty large and it has dished pistons so shaving it should give a good effect being a v6 higher compression and hence more power. Wouldnt do much for a turbo setup tho

What is the origanal octane rating , high test, right? I believe we have gotten by on reg. gas. That may change-that is why performance cars use a higher octane, no preignition (ping). It will kill a turbo motor.

If I remember more than .020 can make enough a change, your head dresser knows for sure. You can order a, (OH BTW both heads need the same treatment); thicker head gaskets to compensate to resume the origanal CR. So, yes there is a performance boost IFF you buy the gas. Also a higher ignition voltage can be required (Padgetts ign mod upgrade or better). Bolt on mods are hard to come by on this car other than a Carb and intake. Then you got to get all those extra gasses out. Headers too, dual exh. How fast depends on how much $.

Personally I would find a person that can flow test and port your heads, radius seats (and/or incraese size of valves) and match Int/Exh ports. Engines are just an ineffeicent air pump. Make it pump air better-free HP! (not so free)

Edited by rjfranken (see edit history)

Guest Recian

Im going to take my heads in this week to have em cleaned and checked while theyre off. Im gona ask them how much it'll cost to fix them and what all they can do to the heads to make the car run better

a) all Reattae were designed to run on 87 PON gas

B) significantly higher compression is going to require premium (burns slower) which in turn will require new maps with more spark advance in the ECM to compensate.

c) higher compression in a hot engine is going to cause detonation with will trigger the spark retard which is exactly what you don't want.

d) the "C" engine (88-90) is pretty much optimised as it is: the intake is ded, the cam is ded, exhaust is ded, MAF does not go that high, throttle body is about 30% smaller than "L", etc.