1949 Chrysler gas door hits chrome attachment

I am putting a 1949 Chrysler Town & Country back together that someone else took apart. I have a clearance problem with the attachment for the side chrome moulding on the left rear fender, just below the gas filler door. The gas filler door pivots down and hits the screw & spacer that hold the chrome side moulding--the one that attaches near bottom of gas filler door. See photo. I have tried all sort of screws, bolts, washers, spacers, and have even ground the heads down to try to get clearance, but no matter what I try, the gas filler door hits the chrome moulding attachment. Can anyone give guidance or advice? I'm sure this is probably the same on all 1949 Chryslers.

Pete Phillips

Sherman, TX

post-32059-143138583775_thumb.jpg

Pete

I have a Mopar friend in Nebraska with a nice collection and he specializes in the 49-50 Chryslers and has several 49/50 T & C's. I don't think he has ever been on this forum though so let me see if I can talk to him and get him to view your photos. If he doesn't know, he would know someone who does.

Bryan

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Must be Terry with the 4000 mile car.

On this car the bottom of the gas door, as you close it the bottom of the door is 1/4" above the 7/16" head - 1/4" X 1/2" long screw. Thats what the parts book calls for. No cupped washer used either. This is a 1950 T&C but they are the same fender and door as your C46 1949 T&C.. No clearance issues at all on this car.

Maybe your gas door hinges are tweaked? The gas door does slide up and down for adjustment as you already know too.

Bob

post-62228-143138586733_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143138586737_thumb.jpg

post-62228-14313858674_thumb.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)