water manifold needed for 250 cu in straight 8 - 1929-37

I pulled the water manifolds off the two 1937 engine blocks - both distribution plates are corroded. Has anyone reproduced these? I know Ernie Loga has them for 1938-42. The earlier style, p/n 167040, is a flat plate with a Vee embossed around the edges and some holes for directing the water to the front and rear cylinders. The plates were spot welded into the stamped outer manifold housing.

water_manifold_167040_29-37pres.jpg

My outer housings are OK, remarkably. It's the inner plate I need, though I would be happy with a complete manifold.

As a side note, I've got a lead on a pair of kingpins for the 1929 President axle, hope to have them next week. I've got my fingers crossed that they are the correct ones. I did find a pair of new tie rod ends.

Guest studepeople

I know this is silly but you do have a very good pattern. If you can't find a repro....maybe a sheet metal shop or your own tallents to make new?

Yes, I guess I can make one. Ford Stoecker told me that some replacements had been made from flat sheet, without the stamped groove around the edge. I think that's how it will have to be. The groove probably made it easier to locate the baffle plate in production and to spot weld it. I'm thinking to make a flat one out of 304L stainless steel [no more corrosion!] and TIG weld it in place in a few spots. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

If I have some laser cut, does anyone else want one?

water%20baffle.jpg

How about $25 for a plain steel one, not stainless? It's the set-up charges that drive the costs; steel is cheap. We'll just count on the anti-corrosion stuff in the antifreeze to protect the new ones. In another 75 years, someone else can worry about replacing it again. I still can't figure out why the plate corroded so badly but the outer housing was just fine.

Plain steel will have to do for the plate because not many people have the TIG welder, tri-mix gas, and special stainless alloy wire to join stainless to carbon steel without cracking.

My '29-'40 parts catalog says these will fit: FC FD 61 62 70 71 73 82 B 1B C 1C 2C 3C with the small straight 8 engine.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)