Parking brake pedal suddenly slips on 91?

Guest ferr1637

Guest ferr1637

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone familiar with the 89-93's knows why the parking brake pedal suddenly slips, and looses its tension when it is pushed down?

My first thought was a slack cable, but it has been tightened, and the pedal is still slipping at times. A friend has suggested maybe it is a wearing issue where the pedal engages the ratchet?

I'd appreciate any input from anyone familiar with this problem before I start searching for, and ordering parts.

Thanks,

John Haney, ROA #12910

John,

Sounds like the control lever is worn. The part # for your 91 Riv is 3520772. The only online parts dealer I could find that lists one is gm-auto-parts.com, but I'd call them first before you place an order. All the others list it as "discontinued". You might also try car-part.com (online auto junk yard service for North America) or visit your local yard. The part # is also listed for the Olds Toronado of the same year/era.

You might want to check the Reatta archives. There was a series of posts about that not too long ago. One thing I remember is that it means removal of the dash. The guy paid somewhere above $700.00 for the labor and parts...

The post is from 5/6/2011 and started by bobwhite...

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Guest ferr1637

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your replies. I've thought it might be the control arm? I read that article about the Reatta several weeks ago. Gave me the shivers at $700, although it was a Buick dealer that did the work.

Aren't you down on the South Shore? Sullivan Tire in Newington, NH, has done all of my work for years.

I'm going to look further into it, but no decision yet. It is a potential annual inspection issue (April, 2012)). The PB is working right now. I may just use it enough to keep it from freezing up for the time being. There's not a lot of need for it when most of my driving is within five miles of the coast: pretty flat ground. Then again I'm pretty fussy, and want things to work right so we shall see.

I'm also going to need to an adjuster, two cables, and a nut. The adjuster snapped, and is welded now. Parts 11, 12, 13, and 14 on page 4-152. 11 has me stumped. It lists two possibilities for 88-91; an E57 or an E97. Do you have any thoughts on that: how I might know which one I need?

You've written more than once about the need to get a service manual, and a parts catalog. I got the service manual last fall, and the parts catalog last week. You're right. They are a big help.

John

John,

You are correct...I am on the South Shore of MA. E57 is the model # for Riviera; E97 for Reatta. IMO having both manuals has been a real time/money saver for me not to mention a great way to educate oneself about our particular model.

For the life of me I can't remember if I swapped out the parking brake lever on another 92 Riv I had or the 85 Riv I had. It was a multi hour job in a very confined work space. I removed the driver's seat for better access after some frustrating time in a back breaking position. I did not remove more than the bottom portion of the driver's side dash/supports though at the time.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)