Pics for 88-89 Dash Vent-Panel Removal Needed

Guest Dan Gibbs

Guest Dan Gibbs

Howdy Guys :)

I'm very very appreciative of Ronnie's website and this forum - two of the best tools available in my experience in different hobbies over the years.

I'm in the process of trying to remove my dash to remove mouse nests and access the inner workings for cleaning and such. I made the tool to lift the hard plastic panel next to the dash pad, but the part of the panel next to the windshield absolutely does not want to pop free because of the metal clips along that edge.

On Ronnie's page he describes most of the procedure very nicely, but, I'm hoping somebody has photos of the panel out to show where the "tabs" are located for the "narrow vent panel" that clips into the main hard-plastic filler panel. If us newbies can see where the tabs are for that, somebody here can save us from more broken pieces to outsource. A previous owner has already cracked the filler panel in two places for me.

Worst case, I'll fumble my way through and take the pics myself for all here and upload them for Ronnie to add to his webpage :)

Ronnie's Tutorial is here:

Dash Pad Removal Instructions - ReattaOwner.com

Thanks guys,

Dan Gibbs :)

Arn't there four Torque screws under the top vent panel? Or am I thinking Cadillac?

Harry from what I remember there are torx screws under the vent panel. The small cracks that are in the front of the vent panel are caused by cowl flex even in the coupe. It might look llike pry crack at the clips but it most likely is not

Guest Dan Gibbs

Well I fumbled and cussed and got the "vent-panel" extracted without any breaks after my 2nd-shift day around midnight Friday. I removed the complete dash from my daily-driver 94 LeSabre in an hour....sheesh. I snapped a good amount of pictures of the procedure if anybody's interested.

The next task is removal of the dash assembly....

Edited by Dan Gibbs (see edit history)

There used to be a junkyard near Swartz Creek where GM dumped a lot of prototype stuff. Incredible finds were made there of stuff that was supposed to be destroyed. Entire performance businesses got started scrounging there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sheldon

I HAVE ONLY ASK THIS QUESTION ABOUT 5 OR 6 TIME ON MY199O REATTA I,M GLAD TO KNOW THAT I,M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM .