Unable to fill gas tank

Guest cain1234

Guest cain1234

Because of rust particles clogging fuel line, I recently had gas tank on my 49 Packard removed, boiled out, acid washed and coated to prevent rust. When re-installed, I am unable to fill gas tank, after maybe a quart, fuel overflows from neck of tank. I can see that neck is clear of any obstruction, so have concluded that problem must be that the vent tube (the type that whistles as you fill tank) must be occluded by coating applied to tank interior. The vent tube appears to be soldered to top of gas tank and makes a 90 degree turn before entering tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charlie Cain

North Texas

49 Packard Super

48 Buick 56S

56 MGA

I agree with your analysis of why the tank is difficult to fill. I know it's awfully obvious, but I'd take the tank back to the guy that did the coating and ask him to rectify his error. If parts of the tank need to have the coating removed, parts removed and cleaned and then resoldered and recoated, it should be his responsibility for poor workmanship in the first place.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Poor workmanship might be a little strong, the guy coating the tank cant control where the coating goes when he sloshes it around inside there, take a coathanger and see if you van just unplug the hole a little, dosent take a very big hole, just enough to get a vent.

3 minutes of your time might save a trip back to the guy and chances are that is all he will do

1930, I completley agree with your diagnosis and would only change the kind of wire used. something more flexible than coat hanger to make the 90 at the tank. I would also try to use something with a point on it, to poke instead of tear though the lining.

Guest Snopack

Charlie,

I had the same problem, the "whistle "is clogged up. The filler tube goes to within 1/2 inch of the tank bottom so the only way air can escape is through the whistle.

I drilled a small hole in the top of the whistle on the tank, about 1/8 inch and used a piece of stiff wire and air pressure to clear the whistle.

You can test by stuffing a rag in the filler neck around your air nozzle and apply a "little" pressure, the tank will whistle if it is clear. I sealed the hole with J B Weld and a penny.

Don't blame the guy who sealed the tank as I don't know of any other gas tank made this way, with a whistle.

As far as blowing out the vent from the top opening, it is too far down from the top of the filler tube to get an air hose to it.

John