Manual Grease Guns

Guest Old48Truck

Guest Old48Truck

Dumb question, perhaps, but I'm continually getting grease on me from my grease guns. No matter where I put them, I'm getting a glob on me. I've tried putting them in pastic bags, hanging them high on the wall of the garage...still grease.

Where do you store yours to avoid this?

Guest DagoRed

I put mine in the buckets I keep that once contained laundry soap - right next to the greasy change of clothes only used when the grease gun come out.

The real problem is not so much the mess caused by the grease, rather the 80 or 90 weight 'oil' the cartridge oozes out over time which then leaks all over the next person to use it, particulary when reaching up...

Saying you get greasy when you grease your car is like saying you get sauce on your face when you eat spaghetti. Well yeah, you do. It's just the nature of the beast. Just wear a pair of old greasy clothes and vinyl gloves.............Bob

Saying you get greasy when you grease your car is like saying you get sauce on your face when you eat spaghetti. Well yeah, you do. It's just the nature of the beast. Just wear a pair of old greasy clothes and vinyl gloves.............Bob

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greasing a car is like performing a Hudson's operation on a cows blocked tit. A experienced veterinarian places himself where the cow can't kick him. Placement is the key. You can always tell a rookie mechanic from a experienced one. The rookie looks like he lives under the car.

Seriously though, I keep my gun in a small tool box and in a cool spot in the garage. I keep a shop towel tied around the portion that is threaded to the top of the gun, I also keep a shop towel tied to the tit at the end of the hose. When using NEVER let grease break free of the rubber covers on joints. You can see them swell with grease and then stop. Letting the grease push past the rubber cups is a waste of grease and a messy waste that ends up on you and the floor. Always wipe the zerk fitting to check that the check ball is not letting grease escape.

My large animal vet always pulls on a pair of coveralls and a big vinyl glove before reaching in to check for a twisted gut or blocked birth canal. Like I said, it's the nature of the beast.:)................bob

Guest Old48Truck

Bhigdog, I expect to get greasy when greasing the car. I was asking about storing the guns between grease jobs, so I don't get greasy when I'm NOT greasing the car.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greasing a car is like performing a Hudson's operation on a cows blocked tit. A experienced veterinarian places himself where the cow can't kick him. Placement is the key. You can always tell a rookie mechanic from a experienced one. The rookie looks like he lives under the car.

Seriously though, I keep my gun in a small tool box and in a cool spot in the garage. I keep a shop towel tied around the portion that is threaded to the top of the gun, I also keep a shop towel tied to the tit at the end of the hose. When using NEVER let grease break free of the rubber covers on joints. You can see them swell with grease and then stop. Letting the grease push past the rubber cups is a waste of grease and a messy waste that ends up on you and the floor. Always wipe the zerk fitting to check that the check ball is not letting grease escape.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's not the nature of the beast. It's all in the application. I look the same after I've finished.

Bhigdog, I expect to get greasy when greasing the car. I was asking about storing the guns between grease jobs, so I don't get greasy when I'm NOT greasing the car.

Oh! That's different. My system is to just hang the gun in an out of the way already greasy place. When I'm ready to grease something I put on vinyl gloves, grab the gun with a couple of paper wipes, give it a quicky rub down, and grease away. No fuss and just a little muss.......................Bob

Guest prs519

One tip tHAT may be helpful, make that two. 1. Endeavor to do your greasing at maximm arm length, 2. Do not go off half-cocked! In other words as you finish off your last zerk, see that the greaSE gun hndle is nested against the body of the body of the grease gun. An O ring in your pocket shall now be placed around handle and body of grease gun. Invariably, if one does not do this, that last half or quarter stroke of the handle happens anyway, treating ones environment to a gob or streaks of greASE. There is no such thing as a small amount of waste grease with regard to keeping it off oneself of ones things. It haS A WAY of spreading AND smeaRING to ruin even if it is just a little bit, as I am sure you noticed. Good rags are better than towels, pARticularly if one can simply dispose of them.