Drivers side window jammed and split on it way up?

Guest cattmann

Guest cattmann

Can anyone give me some idea as to what might have jammed the drivers side door glass in my 1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe? It was working fine and I went to wind it up and I felt a bit of drag and at the same time a crack appeared in the middle top .Seems to be catching on something at the rear of the glass as its chipping it on top as its caming up through the door and it wont come up more than half way without forcing it ,which I havent.

Usually means something wrong with the mechanism inside the door. Such as, the window came loose from the levers that lift it up.

When this happens the window can turn crossways and jam. To fix it long enough to close the window try holding the window up straight while slowly turning the crank. You can usually get them to open or close this way but the real repair involves removing the inside door panel then removing and repairing the window winder mechanism.

Guest cattmann

Thanks for the info.So far I cant pull up on the glass as its only up about a 1/4 of an inch.I did have a bad heavy rattle in the door area the last few days when the window was down so I guess it was loose.I hope I can get glass the same thickness cut

Are you saying the glass is broken? That could account for the jamming.

All the glass in your car is plain flat glass. Any good auto glass shop can cut a new window for you by copying the old one. It will be laminated glass not tempered like the original but quite safe.

If you can find a real old bald headed or white haired glass shop mechanic he may even know how to take your old glass out of the door.

Guest cattmann

Yes the glass jammed and split everywhere.I removed it today and the reason it happened was 3 of the 4 guide wheels in the window channels are broke.I have no idea if I can even purchase these wheels.Any ideas

Yep, the wheels and the channels will all have to be taken out/apart replaced/rebuilt as necessary and adjusted. They can get rusty and or the roller shaft breaks. 1941-48 Plymouth/ Dodge/DeSoto and Chrysler all use the same 2 styles of roller wheels and springs . Make sure you match the wheels and springs before you buy them to make sure they are correct for your car. You will have to replace the glass run U channel too to do a proper repair. Glass replacement should be easy for a good glass shop.

Bob

post-62228-143138566761_thumb.jpg

Guest cattmann

Thanks again I had a new glass cut and I had a friend make me 4 new train wheels on his lathe Works great