Buick "nailhead Identification

Guest olmanmp

Guest olmanmp

I inheritied a 1958 homebuilt wooden speedboat from my Uncle. Im not sure what engine it has but I have been told it is a 1957 "366" Nailhead. I've also been told it is a early 60s 425. I need to know how to identify the engine and what the specifics are on horse power, max rpms and whether or not I need lead additive and high test fuel. The bell housing is cast with the block. It has a 4bbl carter carb and a mechanical fuel pump. Can anyone help?

Here is more information: numbers on heads:1172889, on bell housing 1173201-9, on manifold 1173313, on top of block engine number 4D40 22074, production code # 364671?, on the fornt of the block 1174372,

Edited by olmanmp
engine numbers (see edit history)

Better to ask in Buick - General - AACA Forums

The guys will need the serial number to ID correctly. A photo would assist

Could be a 364 ci nailhead

Some info here

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/content.php?162-Handy-Quick-Reference

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=indent_engine

You may need to register to access

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

4D4022074 corresponds to a 1957 serial number of a car built in the Kansas City plant. I believe by then the engine serial numbers may have matched the car serial number. Is that number stamped? If a 1957 engine, it would be a 364 cid. The engine for the upper series could have a Carter 2507. These had 10.0:1 compression and made 300 hp at 4600 rpm (330 hp with high performance kit).

Good luck.

Guest DaveCorbin

Thriller is correct on all points he makes except the engine is for a Special (lead digit 4) which means it makes 250 HP, still one H----- of a boat motor!!

The last digits of 22074 correspond to a car built the last week of Febuary 1957.

Regards, Dave Corbin