Transmission swap

Guest tv56

Guest tv56

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap a three speed

manual transmission in place of a dynaflow on a 56 special?

Lets say you have a donor car etc. Is the crankshaft different?

Any input would be appreciated.

Tom

Guest 4 bufords

i did a trans swap on my 55 special in 63.used a cheap floor shift in place of colum shift.make sure to use a pilot bearing adaptor inside the crankshaft if you can find one.good luck,4 bufords from ct

Yes, the crankshaft ends are different. You can go from a Dynaflow to a Synchromesh, but not the other way. You will need an adapter that you can get from Russ Martin. He can also give you the details on the swap. You will probably also need to swap the steering column, pedals, and rear diff (the ratio is different on manual trans cars). The '56 Special used the 6-bolt top cover trans, which is much stronger that the 5-bolt top cover trans. Floor shifters are very hard to find. Ansen made one specifically for the '56-'58 Special (part # SEL-2002), but I've never seen one. The standard Ansen and DragFast shifters won't work, at least on a '57-'58, because the clutch cable assembly bolted to the drivers side of the trans is in the way. There is a '56 Special wagon on eBay right now that has a floor shift. I've tried to get him to take some pictures for me (he had it on the HAMB website), but no luck so far.

Wagon on ebay:

Buick : wagon | eBay

Russ on eBay:

Buick nailhead Pilot Bushing and adapter 53-56 264 322 | eBay

Contact info:

Russell (Russ) Martin

Centerville Auto Repair

Pine Cone Circle

Grass Valley, CA 95945

530-272-1564 (shop)

buickrodder on eBay

Nailhead Buick & Centerville Auto Repair

The 56 Technical services manual has an entry regarding a similar swap. Entitled "Use of 60 Engine With Syncromesh Transmission" it says:

Install pilot bearing part number : GR 0.649 Part 1161771

And Throttle Operating rod Gr3.430 Part 1162451

It also calls for swapping the aircleaner/ stud/ and hold down wingnut.

It also says to change the fan driving pulleys, fan hub, fan spacer, fan and belt. Plus generator w/ brace and coil-distributor cap and wires .