1936 Seat Interchangeability

Guest BJM

I am looking at a 36 Roadmaster 4 door sedan project and the seller says it is missing the seats, taken out years ago as part of an abandoned project.

Should this be a deal breaker due to scarcity?

Also, missing the radio.

57,000 mile car, starts and runs, and clutch/transmission work but no seats and no radio.

Radio is no problem - frequently on ebay from $200 to $400 or deletes are available ( I've got a spare you can have for postage ).

Seats are a different story.

My 1936 Century Convertible Coupe had the wrong front seat, but I managed to source brackets, springs etc and templates to built a correct new one as they are constructed from timber with steel brackets.

With the Century I was lucky as the same split back seat is used in all 2 door Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Chevs (probably Caddy and La Salle as well ) - so this gave me a good number of potential doner makes. The stuff I eventually got was from a 1936 Pontiac 2 door sedan ).

Not sure what other makes would have the same seats as a Roadmaster, possibly Caddy?. Seats from later model Roadmasters won't fit as I think they went to steel framework in the seats by 1937.

Although it doesn't seem a big deal I think you will have trouble sourcing CORRECT seats for the car.

But of course it all depends on what the purchase price is - get the car at the right price and you can afford to come up with some solution I'm sure.

Stuart

Thanks. This is a purchase for me. I hope to have the car here in Iowa mid summer (for us)

It is a 36 Roadmaster 4 door sedan. No sidemounts. I'll work on the seats (obtaining) immediately.

BJM-- I think I may be able to help you out on the seats. I definitly know I have a spare front frame and cushion. Not sure on rear and I am along way from my storage. I will try to get info to you next week. The radio should be a fairly easy find unless you must have the deluxe. There are two models shown in the accessories catalog. And of course the deluxe one is my choice for a better balanced dashboard. Congratulations on your purchase, the '36 is my favorite pre war Buick and the fresh inclusion of the 80 series into CCCA makes a sweeter deal. Send me a PM and I will get my Email address to you. ---Bob

BJM-- I think I may be able to help you out on the seats. I definitly know I have a spare front frame and cushion. Not sure on rear and I am along way from my storage. I will try to get info to you next week. The radio should be a fairly easy find unless you must have the deluxe. There are two models shown in the accessories catalog. And of course the deluxe one is my choice for a better balanced dashboard. Congratulations on your purchase, the '36 is my favorite pre war Buick and the fresh inclusion of the 80 series into CCCA makes a sweeter deal. Send me a PM and I will get my Email address to you. ---Bob

How good is this Forum!!!

Problem solved Brian - another great Buick to find its way back on the road.

• 3 weeks later...