Oil Drain Plug stripped - what to do?

Guest jimstulga

Guest jimstulga

Have a '61 Imperial with original 413 engine. The oil pan drain plug will not tighten very well at all. People in the past have used additional washers and looks like some kind of rubber gasket on the plug. I've been crossing my fingers every time I do an oil change for years hoping it will tighten back up and this year it won't. I now want a good lasting fix. I fear the problem is with the oil pan threads not the plug itself. Is there a good solution other than to replace the oil pan? Thanks for input.

Jim

Guest Kingoftheroad
Have a '61 Imperial with original 413 engine. The oil pan drain plug will not tighten very well at all. People in the past have used additional washers and looks like some kind of rubber gasket on the plug. I've been crossing my fingers every time I do an oil change for years hoping it will tighten back up and this year it won't. I now want a good lasting fix. I fear the problem is with the oil pan threads not the plug itself. Is there a good solution other than to replace the oil pan? Thanks for input.

Jim

They have rubber plugs for this problem.

Years ago, someone stripped the oil drain plug in my old car (back then) and the suggested fix was the rubber plug or R&R of the pan. To my surprise, that dang plug worked better then I ever thought and it was there when I sold car too.

Given the value of an engine, I'd consider the expandable rubber plugs only as a matter of pure desperation for emergency use (I do carry one on tours in my toolbox). And if the threads have been damaged, I'd never trust retapping them as there will be less than adequate metal remaining. Make a permanent and sturdy repair - remove the pan and silver solder or weld a threaded nut on the inside.

There are oversize self tapping drain plugs for this purpose. They make a permanent repair.

The rubber plugs are permanent too, and work a lot better than you would think.

If you want to avoid stripping your drain plug the secret is to replace the gasket regularly about every 4th oil change. Use a nylon gasket rather than copper if you can get one that fits. In any case if you have a good gasket you do not need to over tighten the plug. That is what strips the threads, over tightening in a desperate hope of making a worn out gasket seal.

Guest jimstulga

I appreciate all the input and have more options to pick from than I ever would have thought. Probably won't replace the oil pan now. THANKS everyone!!

Jim

In the 50's and 60's GM parts sold an oil pan repair kit. It had a plate about 3/16 thick and about 1 1/8 x 2 1/2 with a threaded hole in it. This was designed to be placed inside an oil pan with stripped threads but many of them were welded on the outside. We used to sell quite a few every week.