stromberg carburetor

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jaanalla

I don't know if it would work, but I have a one bl. Scheibler Model S updraft carb that is

brass.

John Analla

San Diego, CA.

(858) 278-4084

Mike - I have never seen a Stromberg type MP-2 carburetor. I do have its larger brother, the MP-3. Depending on space considerations, it MIGHT (or might not) be possible to redrill the mounting holes, either in the carburetor or the intake manifold to accept the MP-3 bolt pattern (2 15/16 instead of 2 11/16 inches) and install the MP-2 calibration (venturi, jets, etc.) in the MP-3.

As you know, the air intake on the MP-2 is set at a 90 degree from normal, specifically for use on the Pierce.

Consulting the Stromberg files, the entire production of the MP-2 carburetor went to Pierce for the 3 ton truck. There is an entry in the files that an experimental MP-2 was built for an industrial company (Vulcan Iron), but no record that it ever made production.

Good luck in your search.

Jon.

hi jon, thanks for the advice, i realise that it is going to be a long shot trying to find an MP 2 carb, i did however find another pierce arrow 2 1/2 ton truck in CA which was missing the radiator aparently it had been stolen of the truck a few years back, the owner would not sell the carb seperately, and i wouldnt blame him for that knowing how few were made, i probably will have to consider adapting another updraft carb, but i have some time before i start restoring this truck, the MP 3 is a very large carb and from memory has a 4 bolt flange the MP 2 is 2 bolt, maybe it could be attached by a adaptor plate? something to consider, cheers mike.

Mike - someone has given you some erroneous information.

The large 4 bolt carburetor is the one ostensibly produced by Pierce, and yes, it is fairly large.

The MP-3 has a conventional 2 bolt flange. The "3" means it conforms to S.A.E. carburetor stands for a S.A.E. size three carburetor. The standard bolt pattern for a size 3 is 2 15/16 inches center to center. The "P" meant Pierce.

As stated before, I have never seen an MP-2; so cannot make a direct size comparison. However, with the standard Stromberg M series, the size 3 unit is approximately 20 percent physically larger than the size 2.

The MP series is quite unique in design. I will try to pull one of my MP-3's, and picture it for you. Perhaps the picture will also jog the memory of other readers.

Jon.

Mike - here are three views. Since the design is unique, hopefully someone viewing these pictures may be able to help you. The light wasn't the best, so the MP-3 doesn't show well in the box in the first picture. The MP-2 in pictures should look like this, except with an MP-2 designation.

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/MP_3_1.jpg

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/MP_3_2.jpg

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/MP_3_3.jpg

Jon.

hi jon, thank you for the pictures and advice, i had thought the mp 3 was a large 4 bolt carb as i had been offered one which was advertised as a pierce arrow truck carb, but the 2 bolt one you have pictures of is definately a lot closer in size to what i am looking for, in your opinion jon can the mp 3 you have be reduced by 20 % to match the flow of a mp 2, if i remember correctly the flange bolts are about 2 1/2 or so inches centre to centre, it wouldnt take much to make a adapter plate,i'll check that tommorow and let you know, cheers mike.