40 Buick master cylinder problem

michel88

The master cylinder is leaking very badly in my 40 Roadmaster. It is leaking out where the brake pedal linkage goes in the back of the cylinder. If I fill it up it will leak out completely over night. I got a rebuild kit ordered from Bob's and I hope this will correct the problem. Is there a seal where the linkage goes into the cylinder? Thanks for any tips that you can give me.

I had a similar problem and the metal retaining clip had come out or the groove allowing the piston to travel too far back and leak. I probably could have solved the problem by just replacing the clip, but it was time to clean it, hone the bore and put in a new kit.

my local auto parts store had one listed for a later model ('48 if I remember correctly) and it looked like my parts and it worked perfectly.

Thanks Barney, this may be my problem. the master cylinder was fine with no leak and all of a sudden it developed the problem and leaked out completely in a matter of hours. I will take it apart when I get the kit.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I pulled the master cylinder and put in a rebuild kit from Bob's. I honed it lightly and cleaned it up using brake fluid. I didn't see any obvious reason why it was leaking so badly, and the snap ring was still seated properly. I guess it was leaking past the piston seal. Anyway it is back in place and does not leak.