A loss to the hobby

A few years ago I was out on the east end of Long Island to see a 38 Buick that was for sale. My friend who was with me mentioned that Parker Wickham's car collection was close by. I drove into the airport and found my way to where the collection was housed by asking somebody inside the machine shop, which in itself looked quite interesting. I asked if somebody could open it up for us and he replied "Just go in it's open". I forget that being just an hour away from NYC it's like living in the country. I drove over to the building and we walked right in. It was like we were kids in a candy store. Here were some cars that I had never heard of , let alone seen. We were there about twenty minutes before the owner came in and he couldn't have been nicer to us. He answered any questions and gave a guided tour. It was a tie as to what impressed me more , the collection or the man. I learned later that the collection was sold quietly. I would have liked one of the many fine cars. (Owen Magnetic in my garage) Here are all the pictures I took.

post-30973-143138530706_thumb.jpg

post-30973-143138530709_thumb.jpg

post-30973-143138530711_thumb.jpg

post-30973-143138530714_thumb.jpg

post-30973-143138530716_thumb.jpg

post-30973-143138530719_thumb.jpg

post-30973-143138530721_thumb.jpg

post-30973-143138530724_thumb.jpg

post-30973-143138530726_thumb.jpg

Edited by bubba (see edit history)

Parker Wickham was a one-of-a-kind, and one of the nicest human beings I've ever met. I've been to his private museum many times, mostly with one of our antique car clubs. One time, I drove my oldest son, an airline pilot, out to see Parker's collection of cars. When I introduced Scott to Parker, Scott mentioned the name of one of his college friends and Parker immediately commented that the young man worked for him when he was in high school. There was an instant bonding between Parker and Scott. Scott was invited to see the inner workings of Mattituck Aviation and Parker was his guide.

As nice as Parker Wickham was, his lovely wife was just as nice.

We will miss the Wickhams very much. As will the antique car hobby on Long Island.

I'm sure that many of the folks on this forum have stories about their impressions of Parker Wickham.

Rog

Guest whildwhun

The green car with silver hood sides is a Nelson i think 1921, Grey body with black fenders is a cutting not sure of year can confirm later if someone wants to know, white car with red wheels ia a McFarland 1919, red car is an owen magnetic, cream with grey fenders is a Pierce Arrow 1928, cream with black fenders is a Daniels 1921, Teal colored car is a hupmobile 1933, small sedan on shelf is an American Austin 1932.

Rest in peace my friend, I will miss you

Brian

Edited by whildwhun (see edit history)