Gluing Door Weather Stripping & Bow Drill

Guest gunjeep444

Guest gunjeep444

I saw a good video on line by Steele on gluing your weatherstripping on. OK to glue to the paint, or do you scrape it some?

The adhesive back Bow Drill I got from CARS. Some of the old stuff is gone, I assume clean with alcohol on those areas. What about where it's still attached? Go over it, leave it?

Jerry, glue right to the paint, clean the surface with alcohol first or wax and grease remover, then use very little adhesive. If you have the shop manual (body manual actually) look at the section where they talk about the doors and weather stripping. it will show you where to put the glue on the doors. If you can get away with not using glue, I would. Once the glue is down and dried, it is a royal pain to clean off the surface that you don't want it on.

If you do, make sure that you put glue on both surfaces, the weather stripping and the car. Let them dry, then align the weatherstripping and start the install. It will make a very good bond. You might also use a wallpaper seam roller over the weatherstripping the make sure you have full contact with the door and the adhesive for a full wet out bond.

As for the bow drill, you have me there. Not familiar with it on my vehicle.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Guest gunjeep444

Thanks Jim. The bit on 'Collector Cars' showed him with Steele, they were gluing bare metal. Used a coat on each, but then put a thin coat on one surface again and then pressed them together. I thought a guy could tape off where he was putting the glue, then remove the tape and press on the stripping.

Guest gunjeep444

Looking at the bottom of the door, I see there are some tabs you will bend over to hold the weatherstripping down good, after you glue? Need to get out the pix I took of the weatherstripping, before he removed it.

Looking at the bottom of the door, I see there are some tabs you will bend over to hold the weatherstripping down good, after you glue? Need to get out the pix I took of the weatherstripping, before he removed it.

Jerry

Bend them over after you glue the weatherstrip, but be sure to bend them. If not they may scrape and damage your sill plates...don't ask how I know this. :rolleyes:

Willie