Question about starting my 1951 Oldsmobile super 88

Guest Jonny88

Guest Jonny88

Hi guys, another question for you exsperienced oldsmobile owners. My 1951 Oldsmobile super 88 has a automatic choke installed. I dont know if it still works or not and am having trouble starting the car sometimes. The starter is in good shape, it is a 12 volt, so is the battery. Everything should be fine. You are suppose to pump the peadal five times for the automatic choke to set. I have done this and then started but it has trouble starting. I have also let the electric fuel pump run for a minute when the car has set for a few days. It is now getting to the point that after I hold the starter button for a good 10 seconds, I just hear a buzzing noise that speeds up when the engine is not turning over. Also the car has a early Hydra-matic, it does not have a Park position, so I start it in N, is it also ok to start it when it is in gear, the R position.

Thanks for you're help

Jon

Guest Jonny88

I think you are right Dave, I suspected that I was flooding the engine. I didnt know if it was a bad Idea starting the car in reverse. According to the owners manual since there is no park and the car needs to be left in gear, the owners manual states leave it in R so it does not roll down a hill if the parking brake does not fail.

Now I wonder If it is posible to leave the car in reverse while sitting, and when I go to start it, put it back in N, but when I try that the Colum shift lever will not budge.

Any advice, thanks

Jon

"Park" on an old HydraMatic is Reverse with engine turned off. Turning the engine off stops the oil flow in the transmission and allows the parking pawl to be thrown out. Put it in reserve and shut it off, or shut if off and then put it in reverse, either way, shouldn't matter. But, I would set the parking brake before shifting to reverse. That'll take some of the load off of the pawl and allow you an easier shift into neutral for starting. I think, really, the parking pawl is a back-up should the parking brake not hold.

Paul

Guest Jonny88
"Park" on an old HydraMatic is Reverse with engine turned off. Turning the engine off stops the oil flow in the transmission and allows the parking pawl to be thrown out. Put it in reserve and shut it off, or shut if off and then put it in reverse, either way, shouldn't matter. But, I would set the parking brake before shifting to reverse. That'll take some of the load off of the pawl and allow you an easier shift into neutral for starting. I think, really, the parking pawl is a back-up should the parking brake not hold.

Paul

Paul, thank you this is the information I was looking for. Is it possible to throw it back into neutral while the engine is shut off? every time I shut the engine off I pull the e brake after it is shut off, perhaps that is the reason that I can not put it in Neutral while the engine is shut off. From the first time I drove the car, I remeber being able to put it back in neutral after the engine is shut down, but I could be wrong, thanks.

Jon

hi jonny, d yaros and oldsfan are correct. i was always using just the hand brake for parking unless on a incline, then it was point the front tires so the car would roll against the curb, pull the hand brake, shut off the engine, then put selector into reverse. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest Jonny88

Thank you all this will help out a lot, I will try what was prescribed by all of you and will let you know my findings. This solved a mind boggling question I had, despite how silly it my sound. Thanks guys

Jon

Some people even have a hard time getting the car out of reverse (with this trans) or park in other automatic's when they park the car on a incline and first put it in park or in this Olds case shut the engine off and put in R and let the weight of the car rest against the parking paw and then set the hand brake. The handbrake should be set first. Ever heard someone try to yank the jammed gear selector? The poor paw sounds like a big bang going off! :eek:

Don