37 voltage going crazy?

chstickl

Hi, when I took my 37 80C for a spin, the car stalled in idle and never started again. The starter motor turned fine, but there was no ignition.

Back home, I found the folowing:

Voltage at battery: 6.3V, fully charged

Voltage at ignition lock and at ignition coil without engine: 3.4V (!!) starter turns but engine doesn´t start.

Voltage when engine runs at ignition lock: 8.3V, so a bit on the high end

So somwhere between battery and ignition, 3V get lost and I have no explanation. Since the charge indicator didn´t really react, I suspect this one, but am not sure.

When I bridged thr ignition coil to battery directly, the engine started immediately.

Has anybody seen something like this and can help with a hint?

Is the voltage regulator responsile for that behaviour?

Thanks for your help,

Christian

Edited by chstickl (see edit history)

Check the ignition switch itself. In my 38 Special the contacts were full of carbon and it woud only start when I pushed on it... It is a simple switch that you can remove, clean, and tweak the copper contacts to push a little harder to make good contact.

Be careful when you pull it apart and note the little hole is the key to how it all fits together.

Good luck,

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found out that the contacts to and from the charge indicator were corroded and a bit loose. I pushed a bit on the wires and tightened the nuts - everything fine now. Amazing that it worked fine for long and quite suddenly failed.

That was an easy one.

Christian