fuel pump cam

Guest u571

I have removed the timing cover on my 401 nailhead and noticed the eccentric cam that operates the lever on the fuel pump is a bit scored where the arm(lever) contacts it.Is this cause for concern? should I replace the cam with the rest of the timing components? and does anyone know of a source for this part?

alsooo,on the drivers side rear brake assembly there seems to be missing a flat bar piece that helps to operate the parking brake.I wish I could identify this piece to sound more intelligent as Im going from memory 2 weeks ago.The shop that is doing some work for me cant source it but it must be common to many drum brakes.Ill try to get more info but any thoughts on that piece? I seem to remember it was about 4" or so long.

Gracias,

Mark

Hey Jason,I think thats the brake bar piece,I can confirm on monday.If so ,where can I get one.Salvage yard? Do you think they are GM specific or generic for 50's/60's cars?

As far as the bushing scoring I can see it and feel it maybe 1/32" deep or less...How many thousands(of an inch) is that.

I spoke with a guy earlier that sold them but he said they are all used and all scored and $20.

Im just not sure how this would or might be influencing the idle or performance

The pic I posted is from a 66. Not sure if the 65 is identical but probably similar. Salvage yard for sure or someone parting a car. Sorry I don't know the crossover info between years and models. Note there is a spring on one end so be sure to get that too.

1/32 is .03125 thousandths of an inch. Mine had some very light scoring but not that bad. I'd guess maybe .005-.008 max.

This isn't what I'd consider a critical clearance like other parts of the engine. A little wear isn't likely to reduce the pump stroke enough to affect performance. I would be more concerned that the eccentric wear surface is trued up and smooth. You might want to check into getting yours cleaned up at a shop or just get one that has less scoring if you can find it.

Thanks,I would think that cam could be cross referenced with other maybe more popular engines of the period like a chevy and even a small block.

If I cant find the brake bar soon,I could probobly make one but there is that spring to deal with.

Thanks paul

I spoke with Dick who has some used cams which arent much better than what is on my engine now,so he pretty much talked me out of replacing mine based on our chat.

I really appreciate honest knowlegable guys like him as well as the other ROA members who answer my questions.I hope I will be able to help others in the future as I have tried to on other forums with cars I have more experience with.

I was able to get a timing chain/2 sprocket kit(note:cover gasket not included)from auto zone for $75.

What really amazed me was the large nylon coated gear looked great and minimal slack in the chain given the age and mileage-84,000 which looks to be accurate.Also hardly any silver sludge under the valve covers and surrounding components like what I found when I dropped the pan.

As far as the brake piece I need,it looks like one from a 70's caddy may work