1967 Riviera Carb

CBloomberg

The '67 ran a Quadrajet carburetor. Most were made by Rochester, but there were some Quadrajets that were subcontracted to Carter because of a fire in the Rochester plant. I don't know if the fire was in '67, but the carb in the picture is the right style, I can't tell you about numbers though.

Ed

Very interesting. Wow talk about a blast from the past. I had a guy tell me about the Rochester plant fire around 67 over 30 years ago. To this date I haven't heard anyone else talk about it or have been able to confirm it. I had never actually seen a Quadrajet made by Carter but did hear Carter was an approved secondary supplier of the Quadrajet.

The correct Rochester Quadrajet 4MV # in 67 was 7027240. I believe CA cars with the AIR system was 7027241.

My first 67 that I purchased in 79 with 67k mi had a Holley carb that looked very original. I have found zero documentation that a Holley carb was ever used in 67 by Buick and have always wondered if it was one of those freaks that did actually come off the assembly line because of a short term shortage of Quadrajets. The Holley had mechanical secondaries. That was by far the fastest 67 Riv I have owned and thought the carb had something to do with it.

After doing a little research, I found that the fire in the Rochester plant was in the early 70's. But, I found this statement on the website of the Carburetor Shop:

Carter built quadrajets: Carter Carburetor Company of St. Louis produced millions of quadrajets under license from GM from 1966 through 1979. These carburetors carry the exact same identification as their Rochester counterparts, and parts are directly interchangeable. Carter also produced "aftermarket" replacement quadrajets, which will be identified by the traditional Carter part number (4 digits, followed by the letter "S"). An example of this numbering system would be 4675S, which is identical except for the number to 7028262.

'67 Quadrajets should have the carb number on a small disk that is rivited to the carb body. I don't think they started roll stamping them until a little later. It could be that you have a factory replacement carb on your '67. Find the carb number and google it; see where it leads you.

Ed

Guest dcdpgh

My '68 came to me with a Carter built Qjet on it, as I discovered a few years back when I went to procure a carb kit for it. The stamped numbers did not quite match what they should have (thinking at the time it was a Rochester), yet it looked every bit like a Qjet. With help from this forum we solved the mystery. Turned out it's stamping indicated it was a 1969 carb, so somebody had reason to replace the carb early in the car's life. I've since replaced it with a restored 1968 Rochester built Qjet. I still have the Carter Qjet (somewhere), if anybody has a need for reference information.