Stutz Bearcat Paint Question

Bill Erskine

I am in the process of restoring a 1919 Stutz Bearcat. I have been looking at a lot of pictures to determine how to paint it. There seems to be vast variation in paint configuration. I would like to make it as correct to the way it came from the factory as possible. If you are going to do it, why not do it right. I see some where the wheels and chassis are painted body color and some where the wheels and chassis are painted black. It seems that most have the fenders and splash aprons painted black. Should the transaxle be painted? Should the shifter be painted or plated? What is correct for a 1919 Bearcat? Also, does anyone have a formula for the red or yellow used on the 1919 Bearcat?

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Bill Erskine

1919 sales catalog has illustrations that show black fenders, splash aprons, gas tank, transmission/differential and Rudge wire wheels. Body, hood and radiator shell being all the same color. The color options for Bearcat being Elephant gray, Beaver brown and Royal red. Illustrations show bright shift and brake levers with painted webs, presumably black.

This picture is a 1920 Roadster, will try to find one of a 1919 Bearcat.

post-34894-143138510336_thumb.jpg

Layden,

Thanks for the input. I assume that the frame is also black. It is hard to tell from most pictures including the one that you sent. I would thing that they would have painted all frames and suspension parts black with only the body, hood and radiator shell being the body color.

I think that is the case. Sales catalog chassis illustrations ( "massaged" pictures) seem to be shades of gray, I believe that was done to give a contrast between chassis pieces so they could be seen.

No pin striping either.

I have a nice pair of Rudge wire wheels if anyone is in need.

Good luck and Please let us know what you come up with.

I've always wondered about Bearcat colors, the 1914 catalog lists four factory colors...Mercedes red, Vermillion, or Monitor grey.

I contacted the Koveleski family and inquired if they had any color photos of their car before its restoration in the early 1950s. Tony Koveleski bought it from a dealer who bought it from the original owner so I was hopeful some information on its original color survived. Sadly, they had none. That may have been our best chance to get color photos of an original color.

While there are several red Bearcats out there (I don't know if they're accurate colors) there are many others in non-factory colors (Black, Yellow, etc).

In fact here's the only one I've seen in grey...

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/images/AutoCollection/1914%20Stutz%20Bearcat.jpg

Bill, you are in luck! I just got back from the Bakersfield HCCA Swap Meet where I got this picture:

stutz 1919 bc.jpg

1919 Bearcat, seems to be a used car dealers promotional picture, accessory bumper, air bleed control on steering column and spot light. One split in rear fender!

Color choices did change and in the earliest years they did offer on special order to paint any color except white ( racing color for American cars).