Brake system

Guest MidTNDawg

Doug, JB is our overworked and underpaid editor of the DB Club News and his email address is: welshfield@nowonline.net

Check your last Newsletter for the DB Club store, as John's CD may be available thru the club store. Otherwise contact him directly at the above email address. The CD is nothing short of fantastic for 6 cylinder Dodge owners 1928-30. He put a tremendous effort into gathering years of articles, data, and info into one well indexed package. Again, the emphasis is on the Victory Six, but the info can be helpful for any DB in this vicinity.

Jason, the first set I did were the brass sleeved MC and WC's. I'll have to get you the part # for the WC kit. The second round were sleeved in SS using the same kits at NAPA. DOT 5 used for both.

I have got some cool info for DOT5/DOT3 debate coming soon....

If Napa is out of stock on the powder coated Master above, you can get a substitute master which is a direct bolt on new in the box ready to go master cylinder for a 1931 Dodge from Rock Auto. I used this as a temporary fix until I figured out the fix for the original. This is Raybestos Part #MC544. You can use it straight out of the box, or you can make a few mods to this cylinder like I did. I just drilled and tapped the reservoir cap on the MC544 and added a fitting so I could run my original Lockheed tin can on the firewall and it feeds directly into the new master. Of course the new master has its own reservoir built in, so you get twice as much fluid in the combination of the two reservoirs. If you use this MC, you must also solder up the small vent hole in the reservoir cap seen in picture three. Without soldering that vent hole, the tin can reservoir fluid would just drain out through the vent hole and you would have a big mess on the floor.

The first photo is the MC544 before tapping the cap. The second photo shows the MC544 alongside the original DA master and another bolt on substitute, the MC681. The MC681 has the large integral reservoir, but the outlets are "clocked" compared to the original DA. The next three pics show the master after painting and tapping the cap for the tin can reservoir fitting.

Just to show you the "other" 1929 DA master cylinder setup, here's a few pictures of the original 1929 DA Phaeton setup. The "other" setup is for RHD. This also gives you an idea of the condition of the Phaeton and its components. It was all pretty far gone.

post-54582-143138523763_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138523783_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138523803_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138523822_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138523841_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138523861_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138523882_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138523902_thumb.jpg

Edited by idrjoe_sandiego (see edit history)

Guest MidTNDawg
And as for part #12345- good idea, 'cause I think I got the last two Napa had in stock!!

Well I for one am sorry to read this.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Doug, I probably should have let you know I was just kidding: NAPA Part#12345 doesn't exist. That's a picture of my master cylinder after I got thru rebuilding it and having it powder coated to resist a DOT 3 attack. That point is moot, as I only use DOT 5 now on collecter cars.

Guest MidTNDawg

LOL. Good one Joe and no problem from here. Now I may have to go apologize to the guys at NAPA. Not really, just joking, but they do go to any length to help.

Doug