'28 Buick Coupe Info Needed

Guest Willy M

Guest Willy M

Posted this in general, didn;t get too much in the way of response so thought maybe I would try here.

Sorry for another post....

I'm going to be looking for motor parts like a gasket kit, push rods, valve springs,etc. and have found pretty much just one distributor, Bob's Automobilia.

Is there any other parts suppliers or is he pretty much it?

I'm sure I'll have other questions down the road and will make sure I pick the right forum next time.

Thanks.

Willy, Bob's carries the most new parts around, but there are other folks that have parts for the 28s. There is a group on Yahoo.com called 1927 Buick that is really active on the net. Join Yahoo and then go to groups and sign up. They will always help with finding parts. Another source is EBay.

With that said, the guy with the most used or NOS parts is Fred Rawlings. He seems to have lots of stuff like push rods, etc. His email is fred.rawling@live.com

Olson's Gaskets in WA has all the gaskets you need at very reasonable prices. Olson's Gaskets

List on this forum what you are looking for and we will try to point you in the right direction.

And it helps if you post pics of your car also. What model do you have?

Guest Willy M

Here's a link to the pic.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e175/92559/100_3310.jpg?t=1301960331

I've got more just not on this computer.

I've been told its a country club coupe but now know how to tell by the plate on firewall so will look at that once back in town.

The car was bought new by my Great Grandfather. It's been sitting since '61 or so. Some friends of my Dad are going to go through the drive train. The body/interior we're leaving alone. I'm a rat rod sort of guy. Interior is way nice. Even the rumble seat is in decent shape.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the reply. Very helpful.

And oh...you have a Unimog?

Guest Willy M

Hey thanks Mark.

Just got my updated list so I'm ready to search.

Will keep updating as things progress.

Again much appreciate the help.

Willy, sold the Unimog about eight months ago. Had it for about eleven years. A sad day to see her drive from the farm.

Looks like you have the standard coupe. Here is the write-up from the book, 70 Years of Buick.

"Designed for the businessman was the Standard Six 2-passenger Coupe, Model 28-26, which was available only with a trunk. It cost $1,195 and weighed 3,215 pounds. Buick built 12,417, all for domestic sales. The dummy landau irons were standard equipment. This was the last year that Buick would use the old style wood-rimmed steering wheel."

My 28-29 looked in worse shape than yours. See what a little cleaning, polishing, re-connecting will do? I did have to repaint the fenders and the hood. The paint had disappeared just like your car. Here is a pic of mine.

post-48480-143138504256_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138504261_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138504265_thumb.jpg

Guest Willy M

This one has a rumble seat and the little side door just in front of the passenger side rear fender. I don't think its the same one mentioned in the article. I know my great Grandfather always called it a Country Club coupe although my Dad said the original title said Sports Coupe.

Also I don't plan on painting anything. Only exterior item I'm messing with is the top. I would love to leave it original but it's too far gone to save. Decided on keeping it completely original because it's only original once and I am a rat rod type guy.

Your car looks great! Am starting to appreciate what it takes to get a car looking like that!

Just noticed your car has the correct radiator cap. I bought one for my car. Adds too much to the overall appearance to be left out.

Edited by Willy M (see edit history)

Your cowl tag will tell us for sure. But here is the write-up on the Country Club Coupe.

"Slightly more popular than the 2-passenger coupe was the Standard Six Country Club Coupe, Model 28-26-S. Buick built 13,211, all for domestic sales. The car cost $1,275, weighed 3,300 pounds, and was available on in rumble seat form. Attractive features included the rumble seat arm rests, dummy landau irons, padded rear quarter panels, and golf club access door."

Guest Willy M

Yes sir. That describes it well. Thanks John. I'll check the tag once back in town.

Over 13,000 built. I guess many went to the crusher. :>/

Guest Willy M

Oh don't worry John. I'll take care of it. Have admired/treasured this car since I was 4 or 5 and have been waiting many years for the opportunity to get it running/drive it.

I also need to get my picture taken in it in front of an old mill on the family farm in the same pose as my Great Grandfather's C.1935 pose.

1 of 18. Hard to believe thats all thats left.

Guest Willy M

My car was loved for sure. It was the only car my Great Grandfather ever owned. I recall him tinkering with it from time to time but by the early 60's he was getting too old to drive so it was parked in '61 or '62.

Guest Willy M

It is a 28 26S.

You guys were right on. Thank you.

And many thanks to those who were so helpful with parts info. Took a lot of time but I've found almost everything the car will need.

John....told my Dad how many are left. He was really happy to hear that. Dad and his siblings learned how to drive with that car but at the time there were probably more. Dad told me the pinion gear went out of it in the mid 50's and he found a complete car in a local junk yard. He should have bought the whole car!

Guest kaycee

Hi Willy,

Good luck with your restoration on a nice car. Another reason that a lot of cars in the teens and twenties are'nt here today other than the iron scrap drive for the war is due to the wood framed bodies that rotted away over time. 18, give or take a few left of your model today is completely within reason.

:) kaycee

Guest Willy M

Kaycee,

Am not doing a full restore, only going over the drive train. Only exterior or interior thing I'll change is the top as it is getting real dry rotted. The original interior is quite nice.

At this point the motor is dis assembled, a parts list made up and I have found pretty much all the engine parts I need.

Again many, many thanks to everyone for being so helpful. Without you guys I would have never found so much info in such little time.

Guest Willy M

John,

Took your advice, requested permission to join the Yahoo group you mentioned. Been almost a week with no response.

Is that normal?

Seems kinda weird to me that the administrator has to "approve" you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Willy M
I have some push rods, springs and other engine parts. Is your car a Standard or Master?

More correctly a 113 inch wheell base or a 121 or 128 inch model

fred.rawling@live.com

Hi fred,

My car is a standard. It's the 114.5 wheel base. A

I need push rod springs and all the inner and outer springs for the valves.

Having trouble locating a timing gear. It's the fiber one that goes on cam shaft. 54 tooth, 1 1/16" shaft size. Below are a couple of links to pics of the gear.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e175/92559/100_3322.jpg?t=1303663308

The other side.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e175/92559/100_3321.jpg?t=1303663350

Any help much appreciated.

Edited by Willy M (see edit history)