Early six cylinder Buick found in South Africa

The engine number tell it`s a 1927 engine,but if the car is built in USA it has lost the last digit.If the right chassie number is 124428+? it`s a 1925 model.But maybe the chassie number is a Canadian built chassie no.124428 Buick.This is a question for Mr Dave Corbin.

A photo should solve the problem I think.

Leif in Sweden.

When looking at a 1926 Buick here in Sweden who has a engine number 1582754 and a chassie number 109202 with are built in Canada.In that case it tells that you chassie number 124428 also are a Canadian built Buick from 1927.There was 14042 Buick passenger cars built in Canada in 1927,And it was 12344 in 1926 I hope Mr Corbin will agree with that.

Leif in Sweden

Thanks Lief for your response,would have liked to have heard others comments.Have recieved photos of the cowl plate, it is Canadian Buick 1927 series 50 L,do not think there are many around,I also have the Fisher body tag. am waiting for a body photo. well lets see what comes up! Thanks

Roland in Cape Town

post-61195-143138505621_thumb.jpg

post-61195-143138505625_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Roland,

Indeed this is quite unusual, as the Standard Catalog of Buick kists a Model 50T, or a taxicab, a 4dr. 7 passenger, but no 50L. Unfortunately your photo did not come through as a "Thumbnail" which I gues means it cannot be enlarged (or at least I cannot figure it out). The catalog lists on 50 of the taxicabs ever built, and it is not clear if the bodies were buiult at the factory or by an independent coach builder.

I was under the impression that cars built for export with right hand drive, were done through Canada, while other later year exports had a X after the Model Number. I wonder if this car went direct to South Africa or perhaps through England, or elsewhere on mainland Europe.

I would hope we could hear from Dave Corbin or The Oracle in England who have information on these numbers. For now, this is one I am adding to my listing of special coach build bodied Buicks, but this indeed may be a limited production car from the factory.

One question at this time, does it have the small jump seats to make it a 7 passenger car?

John

The car is most certainly is a Master Series.

John,

per my understanding the designation "X" was for Flint built export cars. I would say these were typically right hand drive. Canadian built cars could also be either left hand drive (I have one of them - Canadian built, custom re-bodied 28-49) or right hand drive; they should have been considered "British made" to feed British Empire market (and save on duties for US built stuff).

What actually surprises me more is the Fisher body tag on Canadian built car; I thought they bring all chassis (tooled) parts there and leave Canada built bodies of their own wood. But I am no expert here.

I would also welcome the better / more picture(s) of the car. Does it have disc wheels?

Josef

The car is a Master, it has disc wheels with spare at the rear,it is a seven seater and the instruments are gold or silver,not brown { for Lief"s information} has a heater grid at the back,hope that helps,Have asked for more photos,will try last one again,might be able to enlarge it.

Cheers

Roland Cape Town

Sorry it does not seem to enlarge ,computers,wo'nt say any more!

post-61195-143138527559_thumb.jpg

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Roland:

The numbers check off to a 1927 car built in Canada. The Buick engine number is for a 1927 20 series car and the serial numbers for Canada ranged from 116,001 to 130,043 with only some of them actually used. By the way, McLaughlin model numbers do not necessarily match those used at Buick.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest Jan Burger

Hi All

I just managed to get connected after Roland mentioned that there was some responce to his posting.

Just to summarise my responce from the questions.

The car did come form England via there Milatary attache

The vehicle has 2 jump seats + disc wheels + instruments are Gold colourd

Jozef i will try and e-mail you any futher pictures of the vehicle.

Not sure how to post them @ this stage.

Best Regards

Jan Burger

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Jan Burger

Responce to Roland's question, the wheel base is indeed 128 inches = 3252mm

Best Regards

Jan Burger

• 1 month later...
Guest AgnewOldCar

We are excited to see this Buick. We have one just like it at our shop: Old Car Garage, Ltd. Antique Classic Vintage Car & Auto Restoration Rebuild and Painting. We have been working on it for a customer and a friend of hers sent us this blog about the 1927 Buick. We looked up the numbers and compared to our Buick and they are very similar. We have photos of the Buick and the work we have done to it at

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Picture194.jpg